Lots Of New Discoveries...

Only a couple of months into the year and I've already had SO many new discoveries come my way! Some of them good, others of them pretty mediocre but I'll share them all with you and you can form your own opinions of them. In no order in particular...


Darwin Deez is an Indie Pop singer from North Carolina. To be honest I'm not sure if this counts as a new discovery because as it turns out, I'd heard a few of his songs before, but it wasn't until a close friend of mine gave me the heads up that I was able to put a face to the music. Now that I know who he is, I really really love his stuff. His debut self-titled album is extremely enjoyable. Just the kind of tracks you'd need on a road trip in the summer with your friends, or even when you're alone and need cheering up. This album just exudes happiness. Darwin recently released his second album (Songs For Imaginative People). I haven't yet had the chance to listen to it but if it's anything like his last then I'd definitely recommend giving it a listen. Some tracks to look out for are "Constellations", "Up In The Clouds", "Radar Detector" and "The City".


Sticking with the "D's"... Delphic are an Electronic Rock group from Manchester. They have a really refreshing sound different to that of the current artists on the music scene. Their latest album "Collections" reminds me of a kind of new age version of Jamiroquai's music. I only got their albums a few days ago and have already overplayed most of Collections into an oblivion. Although their debut album "Acolyte" has the more appealing/intriguing name, in my opinion it is the worse of the two. I would recommend listening to both though as Acolyte has some hits of its own. Some tracks to listen out for are "Of The Young", "Doubt", "Baiya", "Atlas" and "Halcyon".


Yuck are a Post-Grunge band from London. They sound to me like a young version of Dinosaur Jr. Their self titled debut album has quite a few gems on there and I think they've been a little overlooked. Yuck are band with loads of musical potential that could definitely be big. However, now that guitar music is making a comeback, maybe grunge bands like Yuck are being pushed aside. Nonetheless, give them a listen. Tracks to have a gander at - "Get Away", "Holing Out" and "Operation".





This next band were quite a funny find - I'd heard about The Joy Formidable many times before; seen their faces and logos in a bunch of magazines and other such things. It wasn't until my friend sent me one of their songs (and told me how to correctly pronounce their name) that I actually really got into them and listened to their first album - "The Big Roar". Fantastic album! The Joy Formidable are a group of exceptional musicians. Definitely hope to see them play a couple festivals this year. Have a listen to "Austere", "Whirring", "Little Blimp" and "Buoy". And also have a listen to their recent album "Wolf's Law".



Tribes are an Indie Rock band from London. They embody pretty much everything that you'd expect from an Indie Rock band. They have the image, the sound, the name and they seem to have settled comfortably into their own place in each of these categories. Their album "Baby" is really listenable. Whatever your mood, a lot of their tracks seem to just be fitting. They release their new record "Wish To Scream" on the 20th of May and I would definitely recommend listening to that. Tracks to listen to in the mean time would be "We Were Children", "When My Day Comes" and "Nightdriving".




Django Django are another Indie Rock band from London - but they are very different from Tribes. They released their debut self-titled album only a few weeks ago and it's quite a good'un. Very chilled (old Western) tones to it but at the same time there are a few tracks that'll have you bopping your head after a few seconds. They're getting bigger everyday so give them a listen now, because before you know it, they'll be headlining stadiums. Main tracks to have a look at are "Hail Bop", "Default" and "Wor".




Ludovico Einaudi is a Classical artist from Italy. I'm not normally the type of person to have an entire album of classical music on my iPod, but Einaudi's album is actually really nice. Originally, I was quite skeptical of him - I thought he was just an artist for indie kids to listen to, to seem cool - but he's actually really good. Definitely not something that I'd listen to on repeat for ages, but very nice ambient music. Would definitely recommend giving his album "In A Time Lapse" a listen. Check out "Brother", "Time Lapse" and "Newton's Cradle".



I can't write about all the artists that I'd like to (another time maybe) but definitely feel free to have a look at Frightened Rabbit, Far As Hell, The Pigeon Detectives, Zulu Winter, Hyphen Hyphen, Charlie Boyer And The Voyeurs, The History Of Apple Pie, Jagwar Ma, Savages, The Lumineers, Drenge, Little Green Cars and MØ. I was also going to write about Hurts, but I didn't really like their album, but feel free to give that a listen too - you may feel differently. :)



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment