New Discoveries: Mallory Knox

About a month ago, I was in the car and one of Mallory Knox's singles came on the radio. At first I didn't really take notice but as I started listening properly I thought "Wow, this is really good", so as always, I strained to catch some distinctive lyrics to write down so that I could look it up later. The lyrics that I managed to catch were "So break me into pieces, until you see my bones" and also "If you see me smiling, I'm lying through my teeth". And so this, obviously extremely cheery song, just so happened to be called "Wake Up".

So, as is standard procedure, I did my research and according to Wikipedia, they had only just released their debut album! I found this really shocking because they sound quite seasoned/professional... I was expecting them to be at least 3 albums in, so this definitely raised my expectations for the album. I got their debut album "Signals" recently and what a debut!! This is easily an 8/10 album - one of the best debuts I've heard all year (and believe me, I've heard a lot). I did initially liken Mallory Knox to Young Guns who are already 2 albums in but if I'm to compare debut albums, I think Mallory Knox trump Young Guns to be honest.

Signals is a fantastic album. So good in fact that I found it hard just to choose a few stand out tracks but here are the ones I finally settled on - "Beggars", "Wolves", "Death Rattle", "Misdemeanour" and "Hello". Their other songs all follow very closely behind in quality. I'll hopefully get a chance to see them live this year at Reading Festival (once I buy a ticket..).

I really look forward to hearing anything else that Mallory Knox have to release andwould advise you keep an eye out for these British rockers, they could be big :)








CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment