Glastonbury Review And Run-Through

Whilst I am still deeply experiencing post-gig depression over the events that were my five days at Glastonbury, I thought I'd do a short recap of the acts that I saw and the reasons why I will hopefully be returning again next year. Music first...

I'll just write a couple of lines/words to sum up each act because there were quite a few. From the top...

BEADY EYE - Although Liam Gallagher is a pretty huge twat, this set was immense. He performed great, the band were on point, the weather was gorgeous and they put on a hell of a show. For a secret performance, they raked in quite the crowd.

HAIM - Perfect way to start off a summer festival. Was nice seeing the three sisters tear it up again. Este had a few diabetes-related troubles mid-set and had to relax a little but they still brought the fire.

HALF MOON RUN - One of the best albums I've heard all year and one of the best sets this weekend. The lads from Montreal - gorgeous and talented. This set had the whole package.

SAVAGES - On one of the hardest stages to find, but the search was more than worth it. Savages absolutely tore it up. I wish the crowd had been more hyped though but that didn't take away from the ladies' fabulous performance.

SOLANGE - One of the must fun sets of the weekend. Had the crowd dancing and booty shaking and just all round loving life. Solange's vocals too - my goodness!

TAME IMPALA - I feel like I was in a trance this entire set. They were phenomenal! The crowd was absolutely high on life (amongst other things) and Tame Impala were lovely. Great, great set.

DIZZEE RASCAL - Another performance where I was disappointed with the crowd's energy but it was to be expected I suppose. For the most part though, Dizzee had people jumping about and even jumped into the crowd right above me.

ARCTIC MONKEYS - ARCTIC BLOOMIN' MONKEYS. They absolutely stole the show. I was sad that I had to miss Foals set to see them but by the end I'm not sure if there's any set I wouldn't have missed to see them! Absolutely electric. And Alex Turner, need I say anymore...?

JAGWAR MA - I love it when a band surpasses my expectations. I did expect Jagwar Ma to be good but they completely blew me away. Fantastic set. Jono Ma is an interesting dancer too...

LAURA MVULA - Looking chic as always. Laura filled the stage and I was particularly elated to hear "Green Garden" played to thousands whilst the sun blazed down. Memorable moment.

BEN HOWARD - Easily one of the best performances all weekend. A man after my heart. Ben Howard was just absolutely captivating. Bore his soul and had the whole crowd in the palm of his hands.

DAUGHTER - Another surprising set. They were definitely as good as I expected them to be, just a lot more humble and shy than I expected. It was nice to see such a great band act so down to earth - pretty endearing.

JOHNNY MARR - Again, one of the top performances of the weekend. Johnny Marr - WHAT A LEGEND! Effortlessly cool and ridiculously talented. Choosing to end the set with The Smiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" was a nice touch too - the crowd was buzzing.

TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB - They've really reached the top. Had Alex sipping champagne out of a flute (non-musical) on stage. Absolutely cracking set. Crowd was awesome. Job done.

THE ROLLING STONES - It was a lot of trouble even getting into this gig, it was ridiculously packed up but it was definitely worth it. The veterans handled business - lovely performance.

FATBOY SLIM - Played a rumoured set at Arcadia. Was pretty good but would've been better if the sound wasn't messed up.

ZULU WINTER - An early gig so not a huge crowd. Great set though. Wish they played more of their old stuff. Also wish this pleb hadn't snatched the drummer's drumstick that I caught out of my hand at the end, but win some lose some.

THE HEAVY - Literally sounded heavy. Great set. Commanded the stage and generally hyped people up for the rest of the day.

BEN CAPLAN - Only caught the end of his set but he smashed it. Had the whole crowd wailing through his hits and actually had to be cut off because he ran on, yet everyone wanted him to carry on playing. Fantastic beard too. :)

PALMA VIOLETS - In my top 3 sets of the weekend. ABSOLUTELY FERAL! Palma's hype-man - Harry, got everyone riled up and it was carnage from then on. Blood, sweat and tears (and piss) flowed freely in the mosh-pits and even though I got battered, this was a 5 star, ten out of ten set.

KENNY ROGERS - The crowd loved him and my mum was very very jealous. I was quite surprised at the diversity of the crowd he attracted.

VAMPIRE WEEKEND - Probably the chic-est backdrop of the entire weekend. They played all my favourites and had the crowd bobbing about as expected - perfect summer band for a huge summer festival.

NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS - The most surprising band of the weekend. These old men all walked on stage looking like they'd just been ushered out of a retirement home for the day and they came on and absolutely tore up the stage. Crazily awesome set, resulting in a lot of damaged violin bows...

MUMFORD & SONS - Most disappointing set of the weekend if I'm honest. Mumford were fantastic don't get me wrong but the crowd was abysmal! It's like they might as well have been watching a Spongebob re-run at home. Mumford slayed the set, the crowd was just way too unappreciative for my liking...

So all in all I think I did quite well. Even though I missed quite a few sets I would've liked to have been at, I saw a lot of unforgettable artists and met loads of awesome people and if given the chance I wouldn't have changed a thing. Easily one of the best weekends of my life. Until next year Glastonbury....


PS: I've heard it through the grapevine, some acts rumoured to headline next year are Foo Fighters, Prince, Oasis and Kasabian amongst others...


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment