Gig Review: Paramore

Last Friday I went down to Wembley Arena to see Paramore headline an incredible SOLD OUT show! This was my third time seeing Paramore live and I'd actually never seen them perform in Wembley before (and I'd never been standing at a Wembley gig either) so it was definitely a day full of firsts.

I did initially know that Charli XCX would be supporting but I wasn't sure who the second support act was. In the queue somebody mentioned the name "Eliza And The Bear" to me, and I just thought "who?!". So after waiting for the lights to dim, Eliza And The Bear came on stage... By the end of their first song I was absolutely sold. They completely blew me away. Fantastic band, great stage presence and just fully in love with their craft and it really came across. By the middle of their set I couldn't even remember who I'd come to see! They completely owned the stage. So after setting the bar very high we waited for Charli XCX to run on stage...

Charli's band came on in costume and I have to say I was intrigued. I'd only heard the "I Don't Care" song with her and Icona Pop prior to the gig so I was completely in the dark as to how the set would go. Now, I'm still unsure about how I felt after watching Charli XCX - she can sing and her band were OUT OF THIS WORLD (her drummer in particular had my mouth wide open for the entire set), but I didn't really care for her songs/lyrics and I felt she was a little "try-hard" at times. So all in all, I wasn't upset or disappointed with her set, but it wasn't amazing. 

Then after waiting for what seemed like a lifetime in probably one of the most sweaty and stuffy crowds I've ever stood in, the lights dimmed for a final time and the crowd went absolutely berserk. Of course the iconic chants of "PA-RA-MORE! PA-RA-MORE!" rang out until the curtains dropped, unveiling the now cherished 'three bars'emblem, and the band broke into their set opener "Grow Up". This song originally wasn't one of my favourites on the album at all but after this performance I have to say it's grown on me quite a bit - still not my favourite, but definitely higher up the list.

They then proceeded to play through a bunch more hits including "That's What You Get", "Ignorance" and "Daydreaming". By the time they'd played around 10 songs I was done, the crowd was manic, people were being lifted out every second because of exhaustion/fainting and all sorts of things and I knew that if I didn't get any water soon I'd probably be the next over the barrier. So I had to step out during "Brick By Boring Brick" (which sucked because I love that song) but I chugged down a glass of water and ran back in just as they started playing "CrushCrushCrush" - fantastic. "Ain't It Fun" was definitely a highlight of the night for me. The good thing about Paramore crowds is that everyone always knows the lyrics and the cues to come in and so the crowd-to-band interaction was awesome!

After an emotion filled ballad moment with "The Only Exception" and "In The Mourning/Landslide" a huge mosh pit broke out as the opening riff of "Pressure" rang out. And then, the inevitable... "Misery Business". Madness ensued. Sweaty bodies flying about all over the shop and one lucky fan hopped up on stage and belted out the bridge in front of some thousand crazed Paramore fans. MANIC. Then the encore - "Part II", still not quite a worthy replacement for "Let The Flames Begin" but a corker nonetheless, then the last of the three interludes "Moving On" and finally "Still Into You". Fabulous closer. This left everyone buzzing as the confetti rained down over the arena. Unforgettable night.

Overall Rating - 8.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night:









CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment