Album Review: Common Courtesy

FINALLY!!!!!!! I've been waiting to listen to this album since late last year! I actually remember walking into HMV on the supposed album release date of December the 21st, only to be turned away as they didn't have the record. However, finally, almost a year later, that time has come! After some legal difficulties with their label A Day To Remember have put out this gem independently, and I think it definitely deserves a track-by-track review...


1. City Of Ocala - Perfect intro. It's nice to hear that ADTR have stuck to their roots, to hear the Pop Punk/Hardcore combo straight from the get-go just reminded me what I've sorely been missing since their 2010 release What Separates Me From You. I'm definitely going to be chanting "woooahhh this is where I came from!" for the rest of the day.

2. Right Back At It Again - Well, they most certainly are. This song had me headbanging less than 10 seconds into it. ADTR might just be the kings of producing awesome songs to drive to because this is really a car-song. I love the little acapella-ish part near the end too.

3. Sometimes You're The Hammer, Sometimes You're The Nail - There had to be at least one long winded title on the record. It often seems like Jeremy McKinnon has lyrics to spare; this is apparently where he puts them. Love this breakdown in this song - this would be MAD live.

4. Dead And Buried - I like the sound change that this brings to the record. The harmonies on this track were probably the biggest indication to me that ADTR have improved if I'm honest. The vocals have definitely heightened since the last record.

5. Best Of Me - Strong song, probably not my favourite song on the album but definitely not one that I'll be neglecting or skipping when I listen through. Good song.

6. I'm Already Gone - The acoustic song... Here come the inevitable "If It Means A Lot To You" comparisons. I like the sort of folk-y sound to it. Definitely a campfire sounding song.

7. Violence (Enough Is Enough) - This single actually came out that day in December that the album was originally supposed to be released on. This song has a great message and killer breakdown - two of the makings of quality songs.

8. Life @ 11 - Probably not the best song on the album but I really like it. I can't pin-point a specific reason why I enjoy it so much but I do. Not much else is there really?

9. I Surrender - Two acoustic songs on one record?! Well, this is probably my favourite of the two at the moment but I suppose that'll change a few times the more that I listen to the album.

10. Life Lessons Learned The Hard Way - One of those songs created for the sole purpose of moshing. Everything about this track screams "Wall Of Death" - definitely excited (and possibly a little scared) to see/hear this live.

11. End Of Me - This reminded me quite a bit of Foo Fighters' song "Come Alive" actually. Either way, Foo Fighters, being my favourite band; definitely put this up there on my list of best songs on the album. Such an awesome song.

12. The Document Speaks For Itself - Not the most memorable song on the album - still not a bad song, but just not the strongest.

13. I Remember - The perfect end track for this record. Love the little talking skit at the end with the band remembering significant events in their lives, the release of this record is definitely going to be one for them to add to the list...


It feels SO good to have ADTR back in my life and especially with such a fantastic album! Support them and order this album digitally online here you will not regret it.

Overall Rating - 7.5/10


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment