Gig Review: PINS

Here's a first, posting a gig review for a band that I have yet to see live! A few days ago Juliette gave me the heads up about this band called PINS. At the time, she likened them to Savages which of course bumped them to the top of my list of new things to listen to. After having a listen to some of their tracks on soundcloud I was more than sold! I am actually going to see them live next week, however, Juliette had the privilege of seeing them perform in an intimate venue in Bristol earlier this week. Here's what she had to say... 

Walking into a busy restaurant after a lecture always has its perks, a sandwich perhaps, or a riveting conversation with a friend… However, something I didn’t quite expect when I walked in to Friska on Victoria Street was a gig by the Mancunian four-piece that is PINS. PINS have been (somewhat unsurprisingly) compared to Siouxie Sioux, Savages, and Jesus and Mary Chain, and have influences that range from Crystal Stilts to Hole, so I was excited to hear them live (albeit in a decidedly unusual venue – someone opposite me was nodding along to the music at the same time as inhaling a burrito – I still can’t tell if I’m repulsed or impressed).  PINS lineup consists of Faith Holgate on vocals and guitar, Lois McDonald on guitar,  Anna Donigan on bass, and Lara Williams on drums.


PINS threw the audience into the deep end from the start, beginning with the deceptively catchy “Get With Me” whose chorus could easily be demanding control of your brain for the rest of the day. They also played “Say To Me” which had a satisfying guitar solo, and coupled along with Faith’s resolute vocals  (which acted almost as a narrative for the set) elevated the song, so that it somehow managed to marry together different strands of garage, punk and post-punk, to create a skillful track. “Lost Lost Lost” was also another favourite of mine as Faith’s yelping broke the texture of the song nicely, creating a moment of vulnerability in what is an otherwise powerful song. The group harmonies were flawless throughout, and were an aspect of the gig that really struck me as impressive.

I hope we haven’t ruined your lunch with live music!” The bassist, Anna Donigan smirks at the oblivious diners at the other end of the bistro. No PINS you most certainly didn’t.

To catch PINS on tour click here

Overall rating - 7/10

Here are some pictures from the gig...


 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment