Gig Review: All Years Leaving - Day 1

Birmingham Alternative Promoters - This Is Tmrw - were kind enough to put on this awesome two day festival event, All Years Leaving, at Hare & Hounds pub in Kings Heath. Over these two nights (15-16th November) 12 bands showcased their talent, headed up by Dutch Uncles and Yuck.

So, day one... I know that indie bands are somewhat known for their interesting dance moves on stage but this night took that reputation to a whole new level.

Opening up the festival was local band, Hoopla Blue. These guys definitely looked the part if anything and I have to say I was quite excited to hear what they sounded like initially. However, to this moment I am still not sure how I felt about them - I don't think I'm a fan if I'm honest. The first song was really not my cup of tea. Also, in the running for strangest moves of the night, the guitarist kept performing these jittery, anxious and jumpy movements that were distracting to say the least. Despite this, the bands rhythm section were tight and the lead vocalist had some shining moments. The set as a whole definitely progressed as it went along (the last song "Holy Ghost" being the best). However, it was brought down somewhat by the distracting guitarist and his constant guitar tuning between songs.

Next up was the band that I actually mainly came to see - Kins. I've actually been trying to see these guys live since hearing about them here but have not had the chance until now. They absolutely smashed it though. Great interaction as a band. They opened up with one of my favourites "Pale Faced Fear" from the album and the rest of the setlist was just perfect. It all flowed so well drawing to a close with the enchanting builder of a song "Absblurd". Kins basically set the bar for the rest of the night, and set it high.

Boat To Row were not at all what I was expecting. As it was an indie themed night I was not expecting to see a folk type band hop on stage but they were fabulous. Definitely the most unexpected instruments of the night sporting a Violin, Viola and a Harmonium but my oh my did it work. The leader singer's voice was not dissimilar to that of Marcus Mumford, the drummer was fantastic and one song in particular towards the middle, the name of which escapes me, was brilliant. Continuing in the theme of uniqueness, they closed their set with an acoustic, unplugged song standing right in the middle of the crowd, illuminated only by the light from one man's camera with banjo and xylophone chiming in amongst the vocals and guitar - brilliant.

Perhaps the pioneer of the strangest dance moves of the night right here - lead singer of Sunderland's Frankie And The Heartstrings had limbs flailing about in ways I didn't even know that they could. These guys obviously came to bring the banter, having jokes flying about straight from the get-go, nipples being pierced with a staple-gun (not literally) and the drummer sporting maybe a slightly controversial but perhaps chuckle worthy "still hate Thatcher" tee. They played a tight set. Their guitarist was undoubtedly one of the best musicians there that night - effortlessly stellar. It wasn't until they played "Hunger" that I realised I'd already heard of them. That song you hear in all the adverts, yep that's them.

Finally, the main event - Dutch Uncles. I'm still sad that I wasn't able to stay for their entire set but the part that I did see was absolute gold. The lead singer did throw in a couple of strange moves here and there but they were not so noticeable next to their interesting set up and in general quality songs. Lead singer Duncan interchanging between vocals and keys fully stole the show. Immersed in the music and finally getting the crowd moving around a bit. I imagine the rest of the set only heightened the crowd's excitement, bringing day one of All Years Leaving to a satisfying close.

Overall Rating - 8/10

Here are some pictures from the night...












CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment