Gig Review: Mr. Scruff & Floating Points

The day after I saw As Elephants Are here at the Hare & Hounds, I was back in Kings Heath again to see Mr. Scruff & Floating Points bang out a crazy six hour, funk laden, dj set of wonderment - and that's exactly what I got.

I got to the sold out show about half an hour late and there were only about 20 people there tops - with every passing hour the room filled up more and more. By hour four, I was having to snake my way through the crowd to get anywhere; elbows and hair whacking me as people were dancing. I don't think I've ever continuously bopped my head for so long in my life. When hip-hop artists used to talk about music/songs that'd "break-ya-neck" - this is what they meant. By hour two, I felt like a bobble-head toy on a dashboard.

Mr. Scruff and what I can only assume was his apprentice of sorts - Floating Points, were knocking it out of the park. Hit after hit after hit - I definitely saw the shazam app being whipped out a few good times. As the night went on, the room got wilder, the music got jazzier, the dance moves got crazier and the people got a hell of a lot more tipsy - the vibes were just glorious. That was a huge factor of the night actually - just a lovely vibe - people were merry and carefree upstairs, whilst downstairs, couches were laid out, outdoor heating was on and @thatblokewilson drew up some amazing live illustration. All the while, interesting conversation being exchanged between groups of friends sharing a drink or going for a smoke - it was really mellow and I loved that. 

I can't really even call this a gig to be honest, it was just a really really long dj set, but it was most certainly a good'un. Mr. Scruff and Floating Points' banter and camaraderie behind the decks also made me smile. Just a great night overall!

Overall Rating - 7.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night...
*Disclaimer: it was very dark, and so it was near impossible to get a clear picture*




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment