Interview: Circa Waves


New guys on the scene - Circa Waves, recently went on the NME Awards Tour, which I reviewed here, around the UK and luckily had the time to chat with me during the tour about what they had coming up. Here's what their drummer, Sian and guitarist, Joe, had to say...


“There’s a pretty diverse line up for this tour in terms of genre. If you had to put together a side project that could be any genre, besides Indie Rock, which would you go for?”

Joe: We’ve talked about this before haven’t we?
Sian: Yeah - well, yours is definitely shoegaze.
Joe: Yeah! I’d form a shoegaze band. I have a few songs on the back burner ready to go. Like me and Sian have decided that when we get bored, that’s where we’ll go.
Sian: Yeah definitely.
Joe: [to Sian] But you’d be in a punk band as well?
Sian: Yeah I wanna start like a hardcore punk band as well.

“Things have been moving pretty quickly for you guys over the past 10 or so months – putting out 3 tracks, and booking quite a few big festivals – when do you think that things will start to slow down for you, if ever?”

Sian: I hope they don’t! [he laughs] Um, I don’t know. I guess maybe once we put an album out we might see what happens.
Joe: I think like at the moment, because we’ve just started out, we just wanna play to as many people as possible…
Sian: Yeah.
Joe: And kind of get our name out there and catch up with everything that’s going on.
Sian: If anything we just need to be getting faster really!
Joe: Yeah, I just think that once we get the album out we’ll sort of know where we are.

“NME named you ‘the hottest band on the planet’ after releasing just one single! What has been the most unexpected thing to happen to you since then?”

Sian: [he laughs] I don’t know, just everything! I don’t know, getting signed! We always obviously thought that it was going to happen when we started getting interest, but that actually happening – for me it was that.
Joe: Yeah it’s kind of nice because it means that now that that’s kind of over as well, we can focus on the band. I think for a lot of people it sort of seems like a starting point where things start getting a bit serious.

“You have a few tour dates lined up in Europe soon. Are there any countries in particular that you have your eye on playing in the future?”

Sian: I just wanna go all over the world and play. Every country that I could possibly play in, I want to play it.
Joe: Um, we’re going to Sweden in August and I’ve always wanted to go to Sweden, mainly because I like Swedish music and to be close to the home of ABBA as well. It seems like really sort of a beautiful place and everyone there’s supposed to be dead nice – I’ve got kind of a soft spot for Swedish people.

“Isn’t Swedish music more hardcore/metalcore?”

Joe: No there’s a really sort of down-tempo kind of melancholic indie thing going on…
Sian: “Yeah boring, what?”
Joe: Like The Radio Department – one of my favourite artists.
Sian: I heard that everyone in Sweden is really tall and beautiful, like universally…
Joe: Well I’ll fit in then. [both laugh]

“The music scene in Liverpool seems really strong. Are there any bands that you think that we should be listening out for from Liverpool?”

Joe: Well, we’re good friends with Dan Croll, who’s just released an album! You live with several of his bandmates don’t you?
Sian: Yeah! Jacob and Jack, we’re pretty tight with them.
Joe: All We Are – they’ve just signed to Domino. Who else?
Sian: Outfit aren’t too bad…
Joe: Outfit are great. But yeah, because it’s such a small city, everyone sort of knows each other a little bit.

“Each of you had jobs or went to university before music became your career path – if the band hadn’t worked out, what do you reckon you would’ve ended up doing?”

Sian: Well I’d just be lacking a job like when I joined the band, so I’d probably still be in the midst of that to be honest [he laughs]. I’d be crying and yeah I’d be very upset on a day-to-day basis.
Joe: I’d just take off and find myself somewhere. That seems like something you can do in your twenties isn’t it?
Sian: Yeah! [In an American accent] Let’s just move to New York, let’s go do it! [he laughs]
Joe: Go study some sitar in Delhi.
Sian: Yeah, I really wanted to do a Masters in Paris, yeah that was my back up plan…
Joe: That sounds better than this! [laughter] We’ll get someone else, like if you wanna go and do that, it’s fine.
Sian: I’d probably end up ten times cooler as well, just from living in Paris.
Joe: Just come back and then like re-join…
Sian: Take us to new heights.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment