Glastonbury Review: Friday

So it's come and gone... the weekend most famous for its' mud, music and magnitude and it was some of the best days of my life. Hugely unforgettable and completely breathtaking. There's no review, live recording or mid-show phone call that can give you even a snippet of what it's like actually being there. But I'll try my best to sum-up my feelings of each artist day-by-day.

METRONOMY
I have to start with Metronomy's (not so) secret set on Thursday night. As we shoved our way towards the front through the hugely packed tent, cheers were deafening as assumptions were confirmed and Metronomy stepped on stage. They played almost every hit imaginable their newer songs like "Upsetter", "Love Letters" and "Reservoir", resonating just as much as old favourites like "Heartbreaker", "Corinne" and "The Look". Immense start to the weekend of music to follow.

KAISER CHIEFS
Continuing on the thread of "secret shows", Kaiser Chiefs graced the Other Stage as Friday's TBA act. Jumping straight in to a set packed with anthems - "I Predict A Riot", "Ruby", "Oh My God" and "Angry Mob" among them. Glad I got to catch this set because they absolutely smashed it.

BLONDIE 
I'll start by saying - Happy 69th Birthday Debbie! Here's another band that smashed it on the Other Stage. Debbie Harry is so ridiculously badass I just had to smile. She definitely hasn't lost her youth and with this set, Blondie taught some of the younger bands this weekend a thing or two - brilliant set. Hearing the whole crowd sing out "Heart Of Glass" as the sun fell over us that morning - absolutely priceless.

THE STEPKIDS
Only caught a few songs of their set but it was enough to impress me. Definitely one of the many bands that I'll be checking out because of Glastonbury. Cool set on West Holts Stage.

RODRIGO Y GABRIELA
I'm not sure if it's actually psychically possible to do the things that these guys were doing with their guitars with just ten fingers. They played with such skill and rhythm, I found myself dancing with random people throughout the crowd to music I'd not actually heard before just because it was so contagious. Fantastically skilled set.

DE LA SOUL
One of the sets that I was really looking forward to over the weekend and my oh my did it deliver. The sun came out after a short down-pour and it was perfect. De La Soul make music to be listened to in the sun, with some friends, drinking a cold beverage and feeling good vibes - and that is exactly what happened. To top it off, they performed "Feel Good Inc." and the atmosphere was indescribable. When I think about this set all I can say is, yes.

CRYSTAL FIGHTERS
After listening to You And I last year I remember thinking that they'd be a really good band to see live but didn't really think much of it or even of the album afterwards. So finally having the chance to see them live, I think it's time I listened to them again. Such an electric set and their energy as a band was great. Definitely a band that you have to see live at least once and their use of blocks of wood as percussion - yes. Killer set.

WILD BEASTS
There were a few shows over the weekend that I couldn't believe that I was actually seeing with my own eyes. This was one of them. Such an emotional set and particularly "Wanderlust" - that song hits hard both on record and live. Hayden and Tom's voices complimented each other so well throughout and really gave one of the most emphatic shows of the weekend.

PAOLO NUTUNI 
I'd obviously heard of Paolo before the festival but hadn't heard any of his songs before that, well none that I knew of at least. His voice was amazing though, and his set was far more extravagant and eye-catching than I'd expected. Backed by the beautiful fireworks from Arcade Fire's set on the Pyramid Stage as I left to walk to watch M.I.A...

M.I.A.
I missed Arcade Fire's headline set for M.I.A. and I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Arcade Fire's latest album was relatively boring in my opinion and I figured they'd have many more shows on in the future should I ever want to see them. M.I.A. on the other hand put on a show so great that you could only understand by being there and even though the BBC refused to broadcast it because she had dancers wearing "Stop Tamil Deportation" t-shirts on stage, the broadcast wouldn't even have been able to do it justice. The staging was breathtaking and her performance was second to none. I haven't danced that hard in a while.

SKRILLEX
An unexpected set, as we walked back to our tent Skrillex was still performing on the Other Stage and we couldn't help but get caught up in it all. His mix of dubstep and dance music had me dancing as much as I just had for M.I.A.'s set. He was absolutely smashing it - and his staging was also very awesome. Surprisingly good set, and a good end to the first day of live music.


M.I.A.'s breathtaking staging at West Holts

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment