Reading Festival Review: Friday

Okay so it's been just over a week now so I think that I've had enough time to gather myself and get back involved with the real world after one of the best weeks of my life. This year for Reading Festival I decided to volunteer with Hotbox Events. It was definitely worth it I would say. The shifts were tiring and painful and made me regret it at times but I met some awesome people, got some great perks and got to watch mindblowing shows, for free. YES.

However, this did mean that I had to miss a few acts when I was on shift so first I'll talk about the acts that I would've seen had I not been working and then I'll let you know about the ones I actually caught.


GERARD WAY
So I was never really a big MCR fan back in the day but I was slightly intrigued to see what a solo Gerard set would sound like. I would've gone along just out of curiosity. I heard a little bit of it from outside the arena and it seemed to sound a lot like MCR's old stuff anyway.

WE WERE EVERGREEN
A friend that I made volunteering at Hotbox was telling me about this band and she actually happened to know them personally. From what she said, they sounded like a good group of guys and just an interesting band. It would've been nice to check them out.

LA DISPUTE
I've been wanting to see this band live for a while. They're one of the more different artists that I listen to and if memory serves I don't think that I've ever seen a show like I'm sure theirs would've been. One day, I suppose.

DARLIA
Every time I've been near this band I haven't been able to see them, for one reason or another. Missed them in Birmingham, in London, at Glastonbury and now Reading. It's becoming tiresome. I just want to see some good grunge music, is that too much to ask!!

MALLORY KNOX
Another band that has managed to escape me somehow. Even after meeting their lead singer, I haven't managed to catch them live yet. After learning all of the lyrics in their debut record Signals I've been waiting for the chance to scream them with other fans, looks like I'll have to wait until their sophomore album Asymmetry...

JIMMY EAT WORLD
SO MANY GOOD ROCK SHOWS! I love when Reading & Leeds comes around because it's every Pop Punk/Rock/Hardcore/Post-Hardcore/Dance fan's dream. Great line up. I would've loved to see Jimmy Eat World after their latest album, but would obviously have been excited for the older hits.

ENTER SHIKARI
If I'm honest, I'm not even into them much any more but I would love to see them just because of the pure carnage. These guys really know how to put on a show.  I didn't feel too bad about missing them since I saw them at Reading in 2012 but, it would've been fun nonetheless.

VAMPIRE WEEKEND
So this is where my day started. In fairness, I actually wanted to see Brody Dalle instead but, after just coming off my shift the first instinct was just to run straight to main stage. Vampire Weekend were okay but it wasn't the most spectacular way to start the weekend (no pun intended).

SBTRKT
I caught a little bit of a his set before running off to Paramore. IT. WAS. BRILLIANT. Such a good vibe in the tent. He played a few new songs to start off with but luckily just before we left he played "Wildfire". If this upcoming album is anywhere near that calibre; I am beyond stoked.

PARAMORE
So this was either the fourth or fifth time that I've seen them live and probably the strangest experience. Basically, Paramore was perfect, the set was perfect but the crowd was abysmal, absolutely shocking. Although the sound cut out, it was just before "The Only Exception" so they started singing it acappella then it came back seamlessly in the middle - beautiful. Then it started raining a little as the sun was setting and they played "Let The Flames Begin" followed by "Part II" - PERFECT. The crowd was just unreceptive.

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
READING 2014 WAS HEADLINER HEAVEN FOR ME. I was ridiculously buzzed for this set. Josh Homme in the flesh and if I'm honest, Michael Shuman in the flesh too! I was giddy. Their setlist surprised me though, a few of the songs that they played I wasn't really expecting at all. Like "Do It Again" or "Burn The Witch" but it was an amazing set either way. It actually got better and better as it went on and obviously "Song For The Dead" made for an enormously erratic finale.

Safe to say it was an entertaining Friday night..

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment