On The Second Day Of Christmas...

Closing in on the top spot and just thinking about these top two albums is getting me excited! They are both just so good!! But without further ado...

First runner up is Royal Blood by Royal Blood. The most record breaking album of the entire year! These boys went from two very normal Brightonians, to some of the most talked about and listened to musicians in the world... in the space of a year!! I was stupidly gobsmacked by how fast the whole thing happened. I'll never forget the first time I saw them live here and nobody was even lifting their arms up or moving around and people after the show were just like "Oh! That second band, they were alright weren't they?" Now, anyone who is lucky enough to get a ticket to their shows, knows and shouts every lyric to every song (b-sides included) and barely has room to breathe with all the pits forming and bodies pushing. Royal Blood are the new definition of viral.

When I first started getting into them here, I figured that they'd do well but never this well! "Out Of The Black" is easily one of my favourite songs of 2014. After ridiculously overplaying their singles I was just waiting on the edge of my seat for the record to drop. I will never forget the first time I listened to this thing in full. Beginning to end I was beyond impressed. EVERY. SINGLE. SONG. The whole album was great - lyrically and instrumentally. The only reason it didn't make it to my number one is - because I liked it so much, I overplayed it quickly and so grew tired of it pretty early on. To the point where just hearing people talk about the album made me like it a little less. After a little break from it, I came back to it and remembered just how good those songs sounded the first time I listened to them. As simple as some of them are, they each just sound so huge. Every track has been my favourite at one point or another but right now I'd say my favourite are "Blood Hands", "Ten Tonne Skeleton", "Better Strangers" and "Little Monster".

Even the b-sides on this record are killer. "Hole" for ages before the actual album came out, was my favourite track by them! And now "You Want Me" is up there in my favourites - another example of simple but awesome. Royal Blood are doing humungous things in the music industry right now. I just hope that they continue to move up and show that this wasn't just a (absolutely brilliantly executed) fluke.


Have a look at what album almost took the top spot last year here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment