JANUARY JAMS

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I know, I know, I'm super late... Let me start off by apologising for my absence - I've been very occupied with exam and coursework stress but as that starts to ease off I'll definitely be posting regularly as normal. Otherwise, follow me on twitter here - even if I'm not blogging, I'm usually tweeting about new finds, SOTDs and everything in between.

If you haven't noticed, 2015 has started off with a humongous bang! January has been jam packed with album releases, tour announcements, single and video premieres, awards ceremonies, and much, much more! So how do I fit everything into one compact post...? I don't. Here's a list of some records already released this month and some others to come. Next post will cover all the other music news.

ONES I'VE MISSED




RAE SREMMURD - SREMMLIFE
These boys just came out of nowhere and gave us some of the biggest hits of 2014. Now they're going to give us some of the biggest hits of 2015 with Sremmlife. "No Flex Zone" and "No Type" are both awesome tracks, I'm just excited to hear the rest of the record. Came out on the 6th of January.






JAZMINE SULLIVAN - REALITY SHOW
I haven't heard anything form Jazmine since Fearless! I'm sure she must have released something since 2008 but nonetheless, that was a fabulous album. Judging by that, I'm going to assume that this new record will pack a punch too. Have a listen for yourself, it came out on the 13th of January.






MARK RONSON - UPTOWN SPECIAL
Mark Ronson. What a man. If this guy's name is on a track you can expect it to be fire. Still at number one on the charts with "Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)", the full album is now out (on the 13th of January). Just check out this performance on Ellen here to see what Mark can bring to the table. The album features Stevie Wonder, Andrew Wyatt and Kevin Parker.







JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE - ABSENT FATHERS
A name that's been blowing about in the airwaves recently. When I heard that he was from Nashville, I assumed country influence, and I was right. However, I was wrong to assume that it wouldn't interest me. Justin has a brilliant voice and some really nice songs. The album came out on the 13th of January - get involved.

 




MEGHAN TRAINOR - TITLE
Almost everyone in the world must have heard this woman's song "All About That Bass" by now. To be honest, when I first heard it I have to say I wasn't that impressed. I said "I know it'll get huge airtime but I just don't think the song is amazing". Well, it did get airtime and I still think the same thing. Maybe this album can change my mind (out on the 13th of January).





FOUR TET - PERCUSSIONS
It's always nice when Four Tet graces us with some new jams. This is more like a compilation album of tracks from 2011 to 2014 but in standard Four Tet fashion, each track is imaginatively layered and unexpected. The album came out on the 13th of January, have a listen here.






ONES STILL TO COME



PETITE NOIR - THE KING OF ANXIETY EP
YES! Been a couple of years since I've heard this name around but I haven't forgotten the talent. Even though it's not a full length, this EP should be just as interesting as a full length would be. I mean, just listen to his track "Chess" from it. For fans of Sampha, this comes out on the 19th of January.






ENTER SHIKARI - THE MINDSWEEP
I made it no secret about my disappointment with Enter Shikari's latest single "The Last Garrison" but since then, everyone I've come across, friends and strangers alike, has made me feel like I've got it wrong. So I listened again as if it was my first listen. I'll admit it publicly - I was wrong. This is actually a pretty great song! I suppose I was just thrown off as I was expecting something very different. I think this record out on the 19th of January will silence any doubts I had/have.




BUNKI - BUNKI EP
I heard about Bunki on Twitter. As 2014 was such a successful year for debuts I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon early and get a listen of his debut EP here. Captivating sounds. It would seem that electronic music is still making a huge impression and not just on it's own but in every other facet of music now. Get your hands on the EP on the 19th of January.






FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND - CHAPTER AND VERSE
Funeral For A Friend, fueling my pop punk heart for years now. After listening to their latest single "Pencil Pusher" it sounds like they've moved over a little more hardcore sound but this is a huge plus! I'm unbelievably psyched for this new album out on the 19th of January







MENACE BEACH - RATWORLD
Late last year I saw Menace Beach supporting Pulled Apart By Horses here. They didn't grab my attention that much live but this album might be what gets me excited about them. They definitely have potential, let's just see if they can use it on the 19th of January.



 


JOEY BADA$$ - B4.DA.$$
Honestly, my favourite thing about this album right now is the title (B4.DA.$$ = before the money). If his lyrics and songs are as clever as his title, and I trust that they will be, then this will be a record to write home about. The album drops on the 20th of January.



 



LUPE FIASCO - TETSUO & YOUTH
Speaking of clever lyricists. One of my favourite names in hip-hop is gracing us with something new. I will vouch for it right here and now, not having listened to any of it yet, this will be a good album. Lupe is always bringing my attention to new styles and influences. I don't think that this album out on the 20th of January will be any different.





 
MIKKY EKKO - TIME
Most will recognise him from Rihanna's song "Stay" but he's so much more than just a feature artist. Here with his debut album we get to hear his fabulous voice solo and after listening to "U" I expect this to impress. Time comes out on the 20th of January.










FALL OUT BOY - AMERICAN BEAUTY/AMERICAN PSYCHO
Fall Out Boy are really testing the waters these days. It's always great to hear them experimenting with new things. However, the bad thing about experiments is that they can sometimes go very wrong. I'm hopeful for this record though, so far I've heard nothing but good. See if this is an American beauty or an American psycho on the 20th of January.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment