Field Day Review: Sunday

Although I didn't manage to see as many artists as I did on Saturday, Sunday actually ended up being the most entertaining day in terms of music. Some of the best sets I've seen this whole year, let alone at Field Day....

EAGULLS
I actually think that I might have enjoyed them more here than I did when I caught their headline set here. It just felt a lot more relaxed, the crowd were definitely more responsive and the band really fed off this - absolutely killer set to start off the day.


DIIV
I've been psyched to see this band for ages now, I'm actually a little surprised that I hadn't seen them until now. Either way, they were awesome! Perfect for a summer morning. Their debut album Oshin sounded glorious live and their new songs from the upcoming album sounded just as strong. Of course when the bass riff to "Doused" rang out headbanging kicked into overdrive. I look forward to much more from this band.


MAC DEMARCO
The talk of the weekend! The most charming hillbilly in the world 100%. This felt like the most improvised set of the day. Most of the time it just felt like a jam session, it was so comfortable and personal. Obviously got a little bit rowdy towards the end, with hotdogs and footballs being thrown on stage and Mac being thrown off it - euphoric atmosphere.


PATTI SMITH
Absolute legend. I felt nothing but honoured to be in her presence that day. I just remember saying "it's sad that nobody really sounds like this anymore". Killer set, and it just felt so effortless. It's definitely easy to tell when an artist has been performing for a while - seasoned but fresh. To top it all off, she played the entirety of Horses - yes!


SAVAGES 
Honestly, the best set that I have seen in 2015. I can say that with some confidence. Savages are like a myth. The intensity in the tent was palpable. They're like a band you'd tell people about and they wouldn't believe you. For them to be able to start off a set with "City's Full" already suggests the calibre of their tracks past, present and future. The whole experience just felt spiritual. This is not a band you want to sleep on - outstanding musicians. Also, Jehnny Beth is a marvel to behold - my goodness! 


RIDE 
I didn't really know too much about Ride before seeing them headline but it was a nice way to end a great weekend. Chilled out summer music. Although a lot of their songs sounded very familiar, I'm sure that I haven't heard anything by them before. Cool old/new discovery for me.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment