Gig Review: Circa Survive

I'd been meaning to properly listen to Circa Survive for the longest time now and if it wasn't for the fact that I hadn't been to a show in so long and PVRIS were supporting; I probably wouldn't have made the clever decision to get a ticket.

After seeing PVRIS in Birmingham earlier this year here and now here in Melbourne, they've cemented their place as one of my favourite live bands this year. Whether they play a full set or just a couple songs, you're guaranteed a good time. Time and time again, they prove to me that they're one of the most exciting things in music of late. As always, singles "White Noise", "St Patrick" and "My House" stirred a huge crowd reaction. I don't know why I hadn't anticipated it but "Holy" got a reaction that was on par if not even more raucous  - great jam, but now I think I appreciate it even more. To top off the incredibly fun set, a crowd fan gifted the band with an adorable penguin teddy, Spencer. 

Now Circa Survive. For a band so reluctant to call it a "show", they sure knew how to put one on! Starting off the festivities with "Child of the Desert" is not what I expected after taking a crash course in Circa Survive before the gig. Either way, it perfectly set the tone.The crowd really moved as the band did - swayed when they had to sway, jumped when they had to jump - it was such a huge collective experience. As frontman Anthony appropriately stated, it was a "shared hallucination". Anthony all together was one of the most theatrical frontmen I've ever seen on stage. Super erratic but captivating to say the least. "Schema" was probably my favourite track of the night. When they came back on for their encore, the band switched instruments, starting off with an improv track called "Sex Dungeon" with some hilarious lyrics which Anthony swore PVRIS wrote. Then after the impromptu laughs, they ended perfectly with "Get Out" - what a strong setlist! The perfect way to start off my list of live shows in Melbourne!

Overall Rating - 7.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night...




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment