TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2015

After listening back through my list of the top 10 albums of 2015 on Christmas Eve, I honestly just thought "There's no way that these are the best things to have come out in 2015!" So I went back and did my research - listened to heaps more records that I hadn't already heard this year (lots of new discoveries coming your way), went to see a few bands live that released records this year, and re-listened to the list I had settled on before. FINALLY - I think I have my final 10...


10. Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon
I didn't actually expect this album to make the top 10. When I first heard about Hiatus Kaiyote, everyone was raving about them. At least 10 people told me that I should check them out. So when I actually got round to listening to them I was expecting a lot more than what they gave. It wasn't until I saw them live late last year and properly listened to the album that I realised what people had been saying all along. Super funky record and super talented band. Give them a gander.
 
9. Foals - What Went Down 
I've gone back and forth about putting this album on the list. Especially after my review of it here, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that it is a good album, I just wanted more. Again, after seeing it played live late last year, I can see how strong each of the songs are. Although this didn't make it as high up my list as Holy Fire did when it dropped in 2013, Foals continue to produce material that draws me in.

8. Lianne La Havas - Blood
It took me a lot longer than I'd expected to fully get into this album. Lianne's debut will always be one of my all time favourite albums and so I've been anticipating this follow up for the longest time! So when I first listened to the album, I had a few clear standouts ("Midnight" is still my favourite on the album), but nothing really stuck to me the way that I was expecting. It wasn't until maybe the fourth listen that the penny dropped and I realised just how much of a musical masterpiece this album is. I still prefer numero uno but my oh my, Lianne is one hundred percent somebody not to overlook.

7. Disclosure - Caracal
It's normally hard to top a debut of Disclosure's calibre but their sophomore album, Caracal might just have done it. It's pretty hit-laden and featuring the likes of Gregory Porter, Nao, Lion Babe, Kwabs and more, it was practically fool proof from the get-go. We already know that a team up with Sam Smith is a tried and tested winning combo and they've got him on the record again on quite a different type of song, but generating just as big of a reaction. Big album, both live and on record.

6. Neck Deep - Life's Not Out To Get You 
Speaking of second albums topping debuts, Neck Deep have easily cleared the bar that their first album set. Not just song quality-wise but production, lyrics and instruments (just to name a few things) have really knocked it out of the park on this one. If you'd have spoken to me at the beginning of 2015 I would've said without hesitation that I was looking forward to The Story So Far's new record more than Neck Deep's... well, one has made the list and the other hasn't. I enjoyed every song on this album and I can happily say I'm looking forward to album number three.
 
5. Ghostpoet - Shedding Skin 
I actually almost forgot that this came out this year. Since it was released, I've listened to it so much that it feels almost like a classic. Ghostpoet has really mastered being able to connect with the listener through his music on the most ordinary things that you could imagine. Like I said in my track-by-track here, this record just feels like a continuation of everything that he's already put out and as simple as it is, it adds such an essential layer to his body of work. Quality album.

4. Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
If you read my review of this record earlier this year here, I'm sure you had no doubt that this would make it onto my list somewhere. I definitely didn't expect it to fall out of the top three ranking. However, after seeing them perform live here in Australia, although musically spectacular, I realised that it just doesn't resonate with me as much as their first two records. Still a very enjoyable record with multiple shining moments, but it just got pipped at the post.

3. The Internet - Ego Death 
I wasn't really expecting this album to get so high up the list. I listened through The Internet's Purple Naked Ladies in 2011 and to be honest, I wasn't the slightest bit impressed. So when my friend asked me to have a listen to their single "Girl (feat. KAYTRANADA)" earlier this year, I wasn't expecting much at all - they completely blew me away! Although the average song on this record is about 5 mins long, they were all ingrained in my head after first listen. I can't even count the amount of times that I woke up with one of their songs stuck in my head. Huge transformation, and 100% for the better.

2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly 
Now, this record would've been my number one choice had it not been so tough to listen to, beginning to end. After maybe the second listen, I don't think I've listened to it all the way through since. Each track is fantastically crafted, lyrically genius, and I'd listen to them individually, but my oh my is it hard to listen to in one go. It's definitely a concentration piece. I feel like every time I come back to it, I learn something new. Kendrick is a phenomenal story teller, and although considerably different from Good Kid... it tells a completely different chapter in Kendrick's life. Full of big tracks, both provocative and commercial - well deserving of the number 2 spot.

1. Bring Me The Horizon - That's The Spirit
Well, well, well... when I first heard this record, there is no way that you could've got me to believe that it would make it's way to the top of my albums of the year list. I shamefully admit that I was among the skeptics after first listen - not sure whether I was impressed or not. I still think that Sempiternal is a better record in comparison but there isn't one track on this album that I would skip listening through it. Beginning to end, back to front, this is a diverse, layered and just lyrically brilliant album. Oli has truly honed in his talent for song-writing and both live and in studio BMTH excel. They may have taken a risk with this album and no doubt lost some fans in the process but they've smashed it again and I expect nothing less than upwards from here on out.

FINALLY, a list that I am 100% content with. 2015 was a humongous year for music and somehow I think 2016 might just be bigger. Here are some shout outs for honourable mention...


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment