Album Review: Not To Disappear

I am full to the brim with excitement to finally be reviewing this record! Firstly because I've been waiting for this record to drop ever since I was enchanted by Daughter's debut, If You Leave in 2013. Secondly, because I've just finished reading NME's review of this album and it's hilarious to see that they've finally jumped on the bandwagon after slating their debut. Lastly, because it's definitely cemented my view of Daughter's true musicianship and made me hopeful for 2016.


1. New Ways
New ways indeed! This whole album definitely started as it meant to go on, something familiar but distinctly different about this second record. I absolutely love the guitar on this track. Reminds me a little bit of The xx I have to say, but way that this track swells is something that only Daughter could have done.

2. Numbers
As a stand alone single, this track didn't originally stick to me as much as I thought it would. It wasn't until I heard it in the context of this record that I could appreciate it for what it is and honestly, it might just be my favourite track on the album! Those thumping, urgent drums that I loved so much in "Home" have returned, yet with more certain and definite lyrics - telling rather than asking.


3. Doing The Right Thing
Most gut-wrenching song on the record, but I love how transparent Elena's become. She leaves less room for guess work lyrically, while pensive pauses leave us wanting more still. As deep and melancholic as Daughter have always been, this record seems heavier, like there's a lot more to digest and this song is exhibit A.


4. How
This'll be a great live track - Igor's always been a fantastic guitarist but for me I've always felt like Elena was the main event. On this record, there's no escaping how much Igor's riffs bring to the tracks and this is definitely one of those instances. The first few times that I heard this song, all I heard was the instrumental, I barely paid attention to the lyrics.  Big instrumental performance track.

5. Mothers
This song was over before I wanted it to be. Elena has always mentioned "mothers" and "motherhood" in a lot of Daughter's tracks to date and to now hear an entire track dedicated to it, I was looking forward to hearing something that explained why they dwell on the subject so much. I didn't find out but at least I found a good track.

6. Alone/With You
This is one of my favourite lyrical performances on the record. Witty lyrics on feeling emotionally distant but not wanting to be close either. This could've actually easily been a b-side on their debut record. Touches of winter-y coldness but a despondent kind of "over it" feeling at the same time. Good track.


7. No Care
I found myself bopping my head and tapping my foot to one of Daughter's songs for the first time in a long time. I'm so used to just drowning in the worlds that they create but this instrumental is something different. Like I said about the first track - familiar but distinctly different. I'm a little surprised that this isn't one of their singles yet.

8. To Belong
I'd love to see what this would sound like with Yannis Philippakis featured on it. The thing that I liked most about this track is that it felt like it should be a duet, or at least it felt like there should more voices, yet Elena continued to chant "I don't want to belong, to you, to anyone". It's like the conscious choice to be lonely echoes not only in the lyrics but the instrumental as well.

9. Fossa
This point is probably when I was certain that this was exactly what I wanted from their sophomore release. I've had a couple of sophomores really disappoint me in the past couple of years but this is exactly what I asked for from Daughter and maybe even more. This track in particular is one that I might have overlooked on the first few listens but upon further reflection, this might be the silent standout for me.

10. Made Of Stone 
Since the album came out, this is probably the track that I've listened to the least, but upon first listen I thought that this tied the whole album together perfectly. As I said earlier, I'm used to drowning in the worlds that this band create but this track just washes over you. Towards the end, the instrumental sort of reminds me of Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek". Great end to a great record!


Four years later and I'm still overplaying their debut record just like I said I would here. I'm not actually sure if they've topped their debut with this, they've definitely put out a fantastic body of work. To be honest, speaking from a "journalistic" point of view - this is indeed a bigger and better record. I just think that I feel a stronger attachment to their first. 

Overall Rating - 8/10

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment