Gig Review: As It Is

I actually initially only bought a ticket to this show because it had been a while since I'd been to a gig and I hadn't seen As It Is headline since they dropped their debut. I wasn't over the moon but I was definitely intrigued.

The first band up was Breakaway from Sydney. I really liked their songs, pretty catchy and the band was definitely talented. The only thing that brough them down sadly was their lead vocalist. As a vocalist he sounded weak, his scream was okay but everything outside of that was below average. His poor vocals particularly shone through during their cover of Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes" and also when he bravely stood alone to sing their song "Memories" from their EP. After seeing them live, I think I'll be sticking to their studio tracks.

Next up - Mae Fire. The first thing I thought when they stepped on stage was that they had a great image. After the over the top theatrics in the first couple of songs that they played I must admit that I wasn't very impressed - I just felt like it was a little unoriginal. However, all of a sudden, after they played their current single "Sole Desire", they really came into their own. As well as being a rock band, they had a kind of groove to them - somewhere in between QOTSA and Don Broco. The band were solid musicians, the lead singer was a little bit "take it or leave it" in my opinion, but overall not a bad set.

And finally, the last support act - With Confidence. You know what they say, "save the best 'til last". I felt like they should have been the only support act - they absolutely smashed it. The whole band had awesome and engaging stage presence, jovial but at the same time focused and excited to just be playing. I really enjoyed their cover of "A Thousand Miles" too. Knowledge of this band was definitely my biggest take away from the night. I also just recently found out that they're playing Warped Tour this summer so keep an eye out because I reckon you'll be seeing a lot of them in the coming months.

After seeing As It Is support Save Your Breath here, I thought I had a pretty good idea of how the set would go and how the crowd would react. I actually expected the crowd to be a little less enthusiastic, simply because the boys were playing in  Australia rather than the UK this time but this didn't dim the fan-girls' enthusiasm. The guys came on stage and immediately their confidence shone through as they punched in with "Cheap Shots & Setbacks". As always Patty's energy was inescapably contagious, bringing the whole crowd up with him. Even though I'd heard a few of the tracks from the new album when they supported SYB, it was awesome to hear the tracks live having listened to the record in full - it made me realize just how good a debut it was. Stand-outs for me were "Speak Soft", "Concrete" and of course "Dial Tones". All in all this was just a really fun show, it just felt like a celebration - of what, I don't know - but I left feeling super happy and I know that this was felt unanimously.

Overall Rating - 7/10


Here are some pictures from the night...





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment