On The First Day Of Christmas...

It's been a long journey but we've finally come to the number one spot in my top ten albums of 2016. This album's meant so much to so many in so little time. Ladies and gents, the one and only Solange with A Seat At The Table.

This album could not have come into the world at a more necessary time. Every person I've spoken to about this album has had it touch their life in a personal way, whilst also hearing it talk to so many relevant issues going on in the world and grating issues we experience on the day-to-day. It also just goes to show how important timing is. Up until this I feel like to most, Solange was just "Beyoncé's sister" or "that chick from Bring It On" but it's not like she hasn't released many other great pieces, written many tunes for other artists or collaborated on so many other ventures. She's been working on this record supposedly since around 2008 and now in 2016 it couldn't be a more perfect time to hear it. If this had dropped back then, I doubt it would have had quite the same reception. I mean it still would've been appreciated because the quality is undeniable, but it might not have hit Number 1 on Billboard so easily. 

Music wise - it's always been "Don't Touch My Hair (feat. Sampha)" for me. First time I heard this song, I woke up with it stuck in my head almost every day for over a week. When a song is so good that it can inflitrate my dreams, that's a pretty good sign for me. As lyrically, instrumentally and just all around vibe-wise perfect the track "Cranes In The Sky" is, something about "Don't Touch My Hair" resonated more for me. My critic brain is telling me that Cranes is by far the better track but I know what my heart says here. Aside from those two big hitters, the rest of the tracks on this album don't fail to disappoint (interludes included). I don't feel like I've listened to another album recently that's made me as thoughtful whilst listening. I always come out feeling like I've just enjoyed a beautiful 52 minutes of music and had a dance and a sing, but then I remember how pensive I actually am throughout. As well as being an ultimate bop, it's an important think-piece...what more could you ask for?

Rounding up, I just have to mention the collaborators. The phrase "too many chefs spoil the broth" isn't always true in music I believe. Some of my favourite records come from artists who collaborate with many other musical geniuses. This record in particular has a lot of my favourites credited and so it's no surprise it took my top spot. If you somehow haven't yet listened, take a seat at the table.

  
Merry Christmas, I hope you've all had a fantastic time with family and friends. "Honourable Mentions" will be up next. Here's yesterday's number two.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment