On The Fourth Day Of Christmas...

We have A Tribe Called Quest with We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service - the tribe's sixth and final album. What a blessing. I never thought this day would come, and I definitely wasn't expecting anything new to come about after we lost Phife earlier this year but here we are.

It's so beautiful to hear Phife's voice on something new even after he's passed - he left us with a hell of an album, and more than that, a legacy of game-changing hip-hop. I've often said that ATCQ are my favourite hip-hop collective - without them, the genre would've meant something completely different to me today. Having them back with that classic Tribe flow, accompanied by some of the today's current greats, it's exactly the way I'd have expected them return and it maybe even turned out better than I'd hoped.

Immediate stand outs from me were of course "Dis Generation", "We The People..." and "Conrad Tokyo (feat. Kendrick Lamar)". I've got to say that these three tracks might just have to be in the top ten instrumentals of the year for me (if I were making that list). These tracks go off! The first time to listened to "We The People..." I actually had to take it back to the beginning after 30 seconds. It ws too much - Q-Tip has most certainly not lost his touch with his bars or his beats.

Aside from this album, all I've had to listen to from Tribe was released either before I was actually born or before I could even remember anything - I've been listening to them for over 20 years and even now their new material stands out to me just as much as their old. Talk about ahead of their time! I can only hope that this record is something that, like me, future generations will be listening to as if it only just came out. Visionaries; every one of them, and they've left us with a beautiful piece of work. Really and truly, thank you 4 your service A Tribe Called Quest.


Here's the album that brought us into our top five yesterday.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment