On The Second Day Of Christmas...

My true love (Beyoncé) gave to me... Lemonade - and it was good! Oh my goodness! The only album on my list that has only changed positions once. Up until yesterday this album was cemented in my number one spot, but I listened to this and my current number one back-to-back yesterday and I had to switch it up. I'll explain why more clearly tomorrow but for now let me tell you why I loved this album so much in the first place.

This is 100% without a doubt my favourite thing that Beyoncé's put out since I Am... Sasha Fierce. Every album that she has released since then has only ever been able to make it onto my "Honorable Mentions" list and some (sorry 4) wouldn't even make it onto that. When this came out, I watched the movie at least once every single day for an entire week. As suddenly as this album came into my life; it took over my life just as quickly.

I've been saying for the longest time, "what ever happened to music videos being such a big deal that people would go to watch them in the cinema?" (s/o Michael Jackson). Well, if I had one criticism for this album, it'd be the fact that she didn't release it in movie theatres first. I would've happily paid money to see this. It's not the first visual album Beyoncé's done and it's not even the first that she's dropped out of the blue, but there's something distinctly different about this album. At first I thought might be it's because she's being so raw and honest but I don't really know if that's true. Beyoncé in recent times hasn't really held anything back from her music; she's pretty much allowed herself to be herself throughout. I guess she is talking about more personal life topics and such, but the beauty of doing it through song is that music is so up for interpretation that we still don't even really know whether she's being candid or writing fiction. To this day, none of us really know if Jay-Z cheated, and hopefully no-one really cares any more, because all that speculating overshadowed the music at first.

In regards to the music, my current favourites are "Don't Hurt Yourself (feat. Jack White)", "Freedom (feat. Kendrick Lamar)" and "All Night". That changes every time I listen and for the longest time "Formation" was my one and only, but I might have slightly overdone it with that one. As always, Beyoncé's voice continues to effortlessly soar and tower above all tracks whilst seamlessly accompanying the instrumentals. Also, of course I couldn't go the whole review without noting that Beyoncé has attempted several genres on this record from rock to country, and successfully might I add. No easy task but she somehow found a way to slay them all. I guess that's why they call her Queen B.

Now, if you've not listened to this album in full yet, please watch it in it's visual form first.


Have a look at the record that welcomed us into the top three yesterday here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment