EP Review: In The Back Of My Mind

I know I don't often do EP reviews but after putting together a list of some of my most memorable EPs from last year; it's about time I started giving attention where due, so along that train of thought... enter MAYPINE. Pop punk band based in Brighton, UK bringing you that South Cali Pop Punk and oh so effortlessly.

Right off the bat, lead single "A Little Sooner" is a song that gives every member of the band a chance to shine. Every now and again you hear songs or albums that rely on a specific member to carry the band; none of that here. As the EP opener, it's a strong start and a blinding display of the band's potential. Following on with "North/South Divide" - an instant favourite of mine - Jason's vocal performance on this track in particular blew me away. Also, there are little pockets throughout that reminded me of The Swellers which is never a bad thing.

"Inside Out" and "Never Far Apart" add that sweet middle ground to the EP giving us a bit of acoustics whilst also adding in the fast-paced rhythmic riffs that we've begun to associate with bands like Neck Deep. It's between "Day After Day" and "North/South Divide" for my top spot at the moment. From start to finish on "Day After Day" I'm hearing riffs that I haven't heard and have been waiting to hear for a very long time, I'm hearing varied vocals, I'm hearing creative drum fills. I mean there's not much that I can fault on this one. A strong opener and a strong closer; In The Back Of My Mind is the best first impression that I've had the pleasure of listening to in a while.

This would be an awesome album to hear/see live. Already described as "one of the most exciting new pop-punk bands in the UK", MAYPINE show you why with just five tracks. For any artist, and upcoming artists in particular, it's important to release music that they'll be proud of and happy to stand behind, and I don't expect that MAYPINE will be having any trouble with this one. Head over to Deadbolt Festival in Manchester this August to hear this all played live and grab the EP when it comes out on the 4th of August.

Overall Rating - 8/10 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment