Fresh Music Friday

Coming into the last real month or so of summer everyone seems to be packing in the hits just in time for the fall/autumn tour schedules to start pouring in. Luckily my playlists keep receiving the blessings so no complaints from me here! Check out some of the tracks that have been on rotation over the past week.

ARCANE ROOTS - Off The Floor
I feel like I've been waiting for Arcane Roots to bring out Melancholia Hymns for a lifetime now. I'm just clutching at the strings they're giving us in the form of singles. The latest track being "Off The Floor" and the transitions in this gem - oh my. Arcane Roots have always had a knack for getting many different levels together in one song.


EVERYTHING EVERYTHING - A Fever Dream
Yes, yes, yes. I didn't even realise that I'd missed them so much these past couple of years until I heard this new music from them. Over the years as a band Everything Everything's sound has become a bit more performative and their songs much fuller instrumentally, and this track - along with the fantastic "Can't Do" - is no different. The operatic vocals in the intro and fade out just add to the subtle production layers added throughout.


MR JUKES - Grant Green
I actually found out about Mr Jukes' new record via Facebook and it wasn't until I had already listened through the debut a few times that I found out that Mr Jukes was actually Jack Steadman's (Bombay Bicycle Club's frontman) new solo project. I've always loved Bombay's sound and I was shocked to find out that something this far afield from that had come from the frontman. Either way, I'm loving the new album and hoping I get to see it live in September for his solo tour.


TYLER, THE CREATOR - 911/Mr. Lonely
After listening to the new record Flower Boy I'm still not 100% which song is my favourite but for now I'd say that it's between "911/Mr. Lonely" and "Pothole" for my most played. Tyler has been on the back burner for me for the longest time and it wasn't really until mid-2016 that I actually started seriously listening. However, after this latest album I'm happy to say his music will be constantly on rotation.


TRASH - 81
This song actually led me search whether they had any gigs coming up this year (they do by the way - free show at The Lock Tavern, check the Dice FM app for tickets). It's been a while since I heard music like this played live and after hearing "DIIV - Dopamine" a few days ago it's been on my mind quite a bit. TRASH are a new discovery for me and after seeing them live in a few months, hopefully I'll be able to say more for their music as a whole.


BONZAI - I Feel Alright
After writing about her last EP last year here and finally seeing her live at this year's Parklife Festival I'm still not sure what I'd call Bonzai's "sound" but I do know, whatever it is, I like it. This song, although much poppier than some of her older material, still packs that signature Bonzai punch and actually does make you feel good.


MEG MAC - Ride It
THESE. HARMONIES. Meg's voice has always grabbed my attention and after listening to her new debut album Low Blows this song is probably the one that caught my attention the most. The instrumental had a bit of a Duffy vibe about it but the vocals are something that only Meg Mac could've pulled off. After discovering her music a couple of years ago she's always been an up-and-comer that I vouch for consistantly but with this debut, I think my words are wasted. Just listen for yourself.


PVRIS - Half
I know this actually got leaked a couple of weeks ago but I've been listening to it a lot since then and thought it deserved a mention. All three singles from PVRIS' new record so far have been visually and lyrically intriguing and displayed a tremendous amount of growth from the band. To be honest I haven't heard a song yet and not wished I'd written it myself first. This record is shaping up to make it onto my top ten albums of 2017 list.


Sidenote: Aminé released his debut album earlier today and I'm currently halfway through it - enjoying so far but haven't listened to the whole thing so didn't want to choose a favourite yet. Currently bopping my head to "STFU" though.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment