New Discoveries: Joy Postell

Super excited about this new discovery! Twitter is fast becoming the hub for me when finding new music and in this case I was shocked to find this one lurking in the abyss rather than running viral as I would have expected.



Joy Postell mixes soul/jazz with rap in this highly underrated song "Consciousness"; in parts reminiscent of Janelle Monae. In politically worrying times such as these, lyrics like Joy's pack even more of a punch, and when backed by striking visuals and intricate instrumentals it's a wonder why this track doesn't have more hits. Every time I listen; I hear something new that I like - it's witty, catchy and thought-provoking. I'm calling it right now, Joy is about to be big. This track may or may not be the stepping stone to that but regardless of what tips it in her favour, she'll get there. Hopefully it won't be too long before we see Joy make it across from Baltimore to UK/EU shores, but in the meantime I'll be keeping a sharp ear out for new tracks so that I can stop overplaying this one!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment