Music News

August has arguably been the busiest month for music this year, so this is just a snippet of some of the headlines that I've seen sprawled across my timeline recently. Alongside the different pieces of news, some of my favourite albums of the year so far have finally been released in a rush to make all of those end of year lists. I'll be interested to see what September holds.


PARAMORE ANNOUNCE TOUR 3
Once again the UK shores are being blessed by the presence of Paramore. Tour 3 is only 5 dates long but is being played in some of Britain's biggest arenas. After having these last few months to jam along to After Laughter in all of its' greatness, the prospect of seeing it amplified live is all I could wish for. The tour starts off in Cardiff on the 11th of January, what a way to start off the new year.

TAYLOR SWIFT NEW MUSIC VIDEO "LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO"
I normally prefer to write about things that I've enjoyed or that show some potential, but I felt like I should say something about Taylor's new one. Supposedly this is intended to be a "diss track" aimed at Kanye. To be honest, after watching the video, I was embarrassed not only for Taylor, but also for myself for kind of liking it. Yep, the video's pretty eye-catching. In terms of the music however, it's lyrically sub par, and musically very boring in my opinion. BUT credit where due, as much as it pains me to say it - "Look What You Made Me Do" is a pretty good music video.

MARMOZETS NEW MUSIC VIDEO "PLAY"
It's been a long time since hearing anything new from Marmozets and after choosing their debut The Weird and Wonderful Marmozets as my number one album in 2014, it goes without saying that I was expecting big things. "Play" lyrically is not their best tune but this song will definitely be a hard hitter in their live shows. Already one of my favourite live bands ever, I can't wait to see this one added to the roster.

BEST EX NEW MUSIC VIDEO "SEE YOU AGAIN"
Previously known as Candy Hearts, Best Ex are here with a new summer anthem, and their first under the new name. Mariel has a voice that'll make you smile whatever the track, and this is no exception. "See You Again" comes from their debut EP Ice Cream Anti Social and the only thing I'd say is that if nostalgic pop punk is your vibe, then this is right up your street.

SYD NEW SINGLE "BAD DREAM/NO LOOKING BACK"
Yes yes. Syd's had her unmistakable vocals on a lot of tunes this year, making it a very busy year in her camp. Now she's blessed another slow bop with her sensual singing, and I suspect I'll hear this on the Insecure soundtrack sooner rather than later. I love hearing Syd create on her own, but "Bad Dream/No Looking Back" has definitely made me more excited for a potential third The Internet album in the future.

INHEAVEN NEW SINGLE "STUPID THINGS"
This popped up on my "Recommended" list on YouTube and thought I'd give it a listen after hearing good things about Inheaven. It's been a long time since I've listened to shoegaze-y, alt rock singles like "Stupid Things" and this was done refreshingly well. I'll definitely be checking out their new album on the 1st of September.

JORJA SMITH X PREDITAH NEW SINGLE "ON MY MIND"
Jorja Smith, back with a shoutout to old school UK garage, and I love it. Back in the day and even now, I'm a sucker for UK garage so to have it back on the airwaves gives me hope for the radio. People still continue to call her underrated, but since finding out about her last year she's taken some pretty huge steps recognition-wise, and I feel like it's just the beginning for her. Ratings will continue to pile up after "On My Mind".

DAUGHTER NEW SINGLE "BURN IT DOWN"
Another one that I've been looking forward to for a while now. After I heard this new single I had to admit to myself that Daughter are 100% one of my favourite bands of the decade at the moment. Grand statement but I stand by it. Elena Tonra's voice is just magical and the drums on "Burn It Down" definitely keep the song lodged in my head.

IAMDDB NEW MUSIC VIDEO "SHADE"
After her recent appearance on Berlin Colors, people are finally starting to take notice of IAMDDB and the smooth sounds she's been bringing to the table, and rightfully so! Since her debut EP Waeveybby Volume 1 I knew it was only a matter of time before she made herself known. This new video for "Shade" doesn't showcase her best music to date in my opinion, BUT aesthetically, this is what IAMDDB is all about.

KNOWER NEW MUSIC VIDEO "OVERTIME"
This is actually a new discovery for me and Knower have left me with a very memorable impression. While watching "Overtime" I was thinking "ah! a new band having a go at DIY" and then as the video went on it became more and more apparent how professional these musicians actually are. Then I looked at their Facebook page and it all clicked into place - 30K+ likes. On a similar thread to Hiatus Kaiyote, this is a new band for me that I'll be keeping an eye out for.  

ROAM NEW MUSIC VIDEO "PLAYING FICTION"
It's been a pretty great month for Pop Punk with Neck Deep's new album, MAYPINE's debut EP and now ROAM's new single "Playing Fiction". After the last album, this single is a big step up and if it's anything to go by, then the new album out on the 13th of October is going to be a collection of their best work yet and could even be a contender on a lot of this year's "album of year" lists. As for the video, it'll be one that sticks in my mind for sure - creative concept, very well executed.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment