New Discoveries: Soccer Mommy

I may be a little late with this one but this could have slipped through my fingers so I felt it important to put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it. Whilst checking emails on my way to Brighton Pride last weekend, I opened Rough Trade's weekly update for new releases and Soccer Mommy was top of the list. I couldn't tell you why I was immediately intrigued but the name stuck in my mind and I told myself I'd come back to it.

Turns out it didn't even take that long, because after a couple of hours in Brighton I found myself in Resident Music standing at a listening station jamming along to her latest release Collection. There was no getting away from it so I started from the top... and ended up listening to the entire thing right there and then.



This is that road trip music you listen to with your friends, by yourself, rain or sun, whatever the weather; it seems to fit the mood. The kind of music that'll bring memories to the forefront of your mind that you thought were completely lost. As well as presenting all of that to the listener, Sophie Allison (Soccer Mommy) takes a retrospective, story-telling approach on quite a few of the songs on the album, making for a vivid picture and a memorable lyrical performance. I'm glad I got to have a listen to this because I'm sure that it's an album I'll be coming back to. Even though some of the songs on this are re-works of older already released songs, I still think it's worth having a listen to her older Bandcamp releases, Songs For The Recently Sad, Songs From My Bedroom and For Young Hearts as well. I'm just sad I discovered too late to catch her tour shows in London.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment