NUMBER ONE

Finally, after 30 days (thanks to anyone who stuck through this with me), we're here at the end of the year and the end of my list.

Taking this year's number one spot... Thundercat presents Drunk. Okay this album is big time. When I first saw how long the track list was I was little wary to be honest but I don't feel like the album ever dragged on, each piece just added to the whole concept seamlessly. The flow was so great in fact I couldn't really imagine it being played in any other order live - it's a whole performance piece in itself.

In terms of the music itself, it's all well and good having great production on an album (which Drunk has much of), but the live instrumentation on this album is what made it stand out so much for me on this year's list. Of course Thundercat's signature bass hugs the ears throughout, but things like the subtle trumpets here and there, the mindboggling chrod progressions, and of course the silky jazz drums are the much needed touches that set each track on a higher level than Thundercat's peers in the genre. Then of course there are the features.

Most know who Kendrick, Wiz and Pharrell are and what they can each add to a track, but I'd not heard anything from Michael McDonald or Kenny Loggins before, and their work on "Show You The Way" was more than enough to make me search for their names again in future. That song actually has one of the most memorable hooks/choruses on the whole record.

My favourite tracks at the moment are "Captain Stupido", "A Fan's Mail (Tron Song Suite II)", "Friend Zone", and "Them Changes". These are the kind of songs that I listen to and wish that I'd written first. It's so hard to produce really unique and fresh music these days with a new album dropping daily, and so with tracks like these coming out in 2017; whilst I'm jealous that I didn't think of it first, it gives me a strong hope for music moving forward. I think that I've definitely found myself a classic here with Thundercat's Drunk.

Have a look at what I had to say about last year's list topper here.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment