NUMBER TWENTY-TWO

I tried so hard to stay away from the Lorde hype when she came out with her debut Pure Heroine and did it pretty successfully to be honest, but when it only continued to grow after Melodrama I had to give her a chance because the hype had to be founded on something. Well let's just say that after I finished listening to this I had to eat all my own words and jump on the bandwagon. In at number 22 if you haven't already guessed - Lorde with Melodrama.

Going straight into the album with "Green Light", when I first heard it as a single I figured it would come in as more of a mid-album track, maybe a little towards the end because it was a dance-y tune. The more I listened to the lyrics, the more I understood why it had to come first. It's retro and introspective whilst staying light and witty. It's one of the only tracks on the album that can speak towards each of the other songs.

Alongside "Green Light", I've got to talk on my other favourites - "Homemade Dynamite" even though it's potentially pushing on the cheesier side of things at parts, I can't help but love it. "Hard Feelings/Loveless" has so much room for live development, I'd love to see this on stage. The strings on "Sober II (Melodrama)" were a big part of what made this one of the albums most memorable tracks - very stage worthy.

Lorde's thread of art pop has never really been something I've been a huge fan off in the past. I still don't think of it as one of my favourite genres but Lorde does it so perfectly, she's made it her own and I can't deny her artistry anymore. The fact that she's started off so young only makes me appreciate her more - ten years from now I'd be surprised if she wasn't up there as one of this generations greats. There were a few people that helped on this record and each collaboration worked well. You can hear a lot of Antonoff's influence on a few of the hooks throughout - in fact the whole of "Liability" could've just as easily been a fun. song.

I'm a pretty fresh Lorde fan but I couldn't have hoped for a better introduction. I'll most certainly be keeping my eyes open for what's next.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment