Latitude Review And Run-Through

Again, I am sorry for my long absence over the past few days. I have spent the past five days in Henham Park, Suffolk having one of the best experiences of my life at Latitude Festival. So like I did with Glastonbury, here's my quick recap of all the acts that I saw over the weekend in order...


THEME PARK - When I first heard some of Theme Park's stuff I wasn't that impressed but I thought I'd give them a chance and check them out live. They were definitely a lot better than I first imagined, not amazing but great potential nonetheless.

JAMES SKELLY & THE INTENDERS - Not sure why but I was expecting some country type band to pop up on stage so I was quite surprised to find I'd actually already heard a lot of their stuff... really cool band.

TO BE FRANK - Sounded like the kind of stuff people might produce in their garage except a lot tighter and more together. Not my kind of thing but they seemed pleased so, more power to them.

LUKE SITAL-SINGH - A stand out performance of the weekend. Luke's vocal control is flawless, and his music is so raw and soulful - fantastic performance. Reminded me of Ben Howard a little bit.

TIM BURGESS - Just caught the end of his set but the last couple of songs that I heard were great, the crowd was absolutely loving it. It was a real moment, with the sun beaming down on the Obelisk Stage.

STORNOWAY - I've been hearing good things about this band for almost a year now so I was more than ready to actually find out about them - and the people weren't wrong. They absolutely smashed this set, will definitely be getting my hands on more of their records.

WOLF ALICE - One of the gigs that I was most excited for and rightfully so, they did not disappoint. A madness of a set. I cannot wait until these guys release a full length..

SOHN - Caught the end of this set and it sounded pretty good, nothing exceptional/captivating but good nonetheless.


CHVRCHES - In all fairness, I wasn't too excited by their EP "Recover" and so wasn't sure how I'd feel after seeing them live. The set was good but I don't think it was enough to make me really into their music.  

CAT POWER - AWESOME set! Chan is so freaking cool - the only artist that I saw have a costume change mid-set this weekend. Her band were on point and her vocals were fabulous.

MØ - So glad that I got to catch her set. I've been wanting to see her all year. Despite a few sound glitches, she killed it... "Maiden" sounded glorious. 
  
THE MACCABEES - I can't lie, I wasn't expecting too much having previously seen them live and not been impressed but they absolutely smashed it. Orlando is gorgeous. It was quite an experience seeing people mosh to "Toothpaste Kisses".

BLOC PARTY - Easily in my Top 3 gigs of the weekend, maybe even one of the best gigs I've ever been to. It was absolutely brutal. Totally almost died when they played "Coliseum". They had the most well put together setlist of the weekend though and every song hit hard, be it ballad or banger; such a cracking set. So much love for Kele.

DRENGE - Absolute corker of a set to start off the Saturday. I definitely underestimated just how talented these two brothers were. They are so ridiculously skilled and gracious - I loved every minute of it. Crowd was pretty manic too considering it was one of the first gigs of the day.

JOSEPHINE - Neo-Soul goddess. Such a hugely different style to what we'd just heard and a bit of a come-down as it was so chilled but she did her thing and her vocals were fantastic.

KING CHARLES - Hadn't heard of him until this festival but will be hearing a lot more of him after this. Such a great set and such a gorgeous man. 

WHITE DENIM - These guys were crazy and not your conventional looking indie band but they were awesome. Their bassist was ridiculously good - all in all, they rocked!

DAUGHTER - Yes, I did go and see Daughter again, and they were even better the second time. They completely smashed it, despite NME's Review of their record I will 100% stand by it saying it's a great album, live and digital.

EVERYTHING EVERYTHING - Well, it's been a long time coming. Finally got to see EE live and I have to say, I was a little disappointed. They were good don't get me wrong, but I feel that they chose a poor setlist and could've been a little more interactive. Other than that, good set.

YEAH YEAH YEAHS - Karen O is just such a badass. Killer show, played all of the favourites. Stand out moment is probably when her and her band did a freeze-frame mid song and brought it back in the most silky way possible. YYYs definitely know how to put on a show.

HOT CHIP - A really cool group of guys who just came on stage and whacked out a super funky set. Just a lot of a fun, had the crowd bouncing the whole time.


KRAFTWERK - I only stayed for the first couple of songs to watch the 3D effects. The 3D was beyond amazing but the music was pretty sub-par. 

ALT-J - The main reason that I left Kraftwerk's set early. Another band that I've been wanting to see for ages, and I'm so glad that I caught them. They played a fantastic set, and again, once you've seen a crowd mosh to "Matilda" you've pretty much seen it all.

BOBBY WOMACK - Complete legend. Best way to start off the last day. Got the crowd warmed up and ready to just have an amazing day and I feel like he really made an effort to connect with the audience. Seasoned, but sensational...

LAURA MVULA - Yep, caught her set again too. I think she played better at Glastonbury but she still slayed this set. Her vocals are just flawless.

JUNIP - So glad I went to this set, not many people I know are that into them and they're just a really nice, chilled band. The weather was perfect for the type of songs that they played too so the atmosphere was just lovely. 

SAM SMITH - Only caught his last two songs but damn this boy can saaannggg! Whilst walking away from Junip's set I just heard his voice soaring and eventually realised who it was. This man will do great things. 

TEMPLES - Some of the most beautiful instruments that I saw all weekend. Really good set, and as the band actually all met at Latitude you could tell that it meant a lot to them. 

JAMES BLAKE - Three guys, seated for the entire set, just playing beats. One of the most chilled sets of the weekend. James' voice is super captivating, and you can tell he genuinely loves everything he does.


LOCAL NATIVES - First time I'd seen them live and first time I'd seen a band bring a person on to sign the entire set. (?!) I've never heard of such a thing but it was unique and the band played really well so kudos to them. 

RUDIMENTAL - The most diverse crowd of the whole weekend. People from all different nationalities and ages. I even found myself stood next to two metal-heads at one point jumping about and singing all the lyrics to "Waiting All Night". Such a quality set - really glad I could see them.

GRIZZLY BEAR - I have to admit, I didn't pay as much attention to this set as I should have, because I was busy psyching myself up for Foals. However, the set was gorgeous and the parts that I did pay attention to were really, really good.

FOALS - Well, well, well... not even sure where to start really. Probably the set I was most excited for - talk about saving the best for last. Some of the setlist choices were quite surprising but I loved them all despite that. "Providence", "Inhaler" and "Two Steps Twice" were absolutely frenetic! The crowd didn't quite know what to do with themselves; bodies were being dashed about every which way - cracking set, just wish that it was longer.

Well, all in all this was one of the best weekends of my entire life, so glad and lucky that I was able to have this opportunity. Also, majorly happy that I was even able to see so many bands - 33 bands in 3 days - what even?! For those who've heard that Latitude is the most chilled festival, don't believe the hype - it was manic! Such a fantastic experience, I'd recommend it to anyone and I'd definitely be up for going again. 





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment