Gig Review: The Amazing Snakeheads

On September the 10th my friend Juliette and I went to see The Amazing Snakeheads at The Old Blue Last. I thought it might be about time that you heard about the gigs that I go to from another person's perspective and so this next review is written and rated by Juliette. Here's what she had to say...


Broken drumsticks, snarling Glaswegian accents, and manic gestures all before the first chorus of the first song; ladies and gentlemen I would like to introduce you to The Amazing Snakeheads. Straight out of Glasgow and brazenly dominating the stage at the Old Blue Last without a support band, the overpowering stage presence of the front man, Dale Barclay, immediately sets the precedent for what proves to be an excellent set.

As someone who needs to be told to be at an event three hours earlier than it actually occurs to avoid being hideously late, the tables had turned this time, and Joy and I had ended up at The Old Blue Last ridiculously early for The Amazing Snakeheads gig. For such a small venue, the room filled up surprisingly quickly, allowing the band to get stuck in as soon as “Hello, we’re The Amazing Snakeheads” was growled unceremoniously into the microphone.

After warming up the crowd with “Vampire”, they get stuck into “The Truth Serum”, which displays Jordon’s brilliantly acerbic drumming. This is then chased down by the sinisterly alluring “Where is my Knife?” and the loud, loud guitar screeches and unrelenting bass of William on “Losing My Mind”. The set list was perfectly done; placing their most well known song “Testifying Time” towards the end for maximum impact, and as expected it went down a messy, guttural treat. For me the thing that really stood out during their set was the quality of their lesser-known songs, as well as their singles, a sign of good things to come, I’m sure.

If I were to criticize anything about the gig, it would be the awful audience. Although the room was almost packed, and everyone was clearly enjoying themselves, there seemed to be a weird atmosphere of restraint throughout the room, so much so that one guy at the front found it necessary to shout “LIVEN UP YOU BORING FUCKERS!” and I found myself agreeing.

So if you haven’t checked out The Amazing Snakeheads, continue to ignore them at your own peril. This trio is destined for big things. 

By Juliette Motamed

Overall Rating - 8/10

Here are some pictures from the night....




amazingsnakeheadsobl 




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment