Lots Of New Discoveries...

I've had quite a lot of new artists and bands thrown my way these past couple of weeks and thought I'd better give them some recognition. Some are better than others but I'll leave you to form your own opinions. First up we have...

GATES
A rock band from New Brunswick, NJ that I stumbled upon whilst looking through soundcloud. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting to hear when I clicked on the link but what I did hear had its pros and cons. The first song of theirs that I heard was "Skyline". I really liked the intro but then it seemed to take a very long while to get into it. After about three quarters of the song, the vocals finally came in and while the instrumental was good, I just felt it went on for a bit too long. I've only listened to a few more of their songs but from what I've heard they have potential. Have a listen to "They Only See Shadows" and "Like This You Mean".



DARLIA
Juliette gave me the heads up on this band amongst a few others on this list. It took me a while to get round to listening to them but when I did I was extremely impressed! They've recently released an awesome new EP entitled Knock Knock. It's always refreshing to hear a new grunge band who know what they're doing. However, those who are calling them "the new Nirvana" should probably stop. Darlia are, on the other hand, a gritty Blackpool based trio who're coming up fast. Have a listen to "Choke On Bones", "Queen Of Hearts" and my current favourite, "Napalm".


THE FAMILY RAIN
A band that I actually found about when looking for tickets to a Darlia gig. It just so happened that Darlia were supporting them at an upcoming gig in Birmingham. In order to decide whether I should grab a ticket I thought that I should give them a listen first. The first of their songs that I heard "Carnival" wasn't enough to convince me. So I had a listen to "Pushing It" and "Feel Better (FRANK)". Those two did impress me a little more but I'm still on the fence about them. Not sure if I'm quite willing to spend money to see them yet. Will have to decide after more listens.



PVRIS
A close friend of mine played me their song "The Heartless" a few weeks ago. As soon as the intro came in I was bopping my head. I've made my love of female fronted pop punk/rock bands no secret. I must admit though, initially I was a little unsure about the lead vocals but as the song went on I liked it more and more. The band is full of fantastic instrumentalists and I also like the male vocals that drop in towards the end. Looking forward to them releasing new music.


QUICK AND THE DEAD
The same friend that let me know about PVRIS sent me the link to Quick And The Dead's FREE EP For The Rhythm. This EP has quite a few really cool songs on it actually. An overall pop punk vibe from it but includes songs like "Carry On Reaper" showing more indie instrumentals. All together a solid EP from the London band. Songs to look out for in my opinion would be "Savaged" and "Get Scared?". Something about them reminds me heaps of In Case Of Fire.



EAGULLS
Leeds based post punk band are killing it right now. The first song that I heard of theirs was "Coffin". This definitely caught my attention. I then went on to listen to their songs "Nerve Endings", "Moulting" and "Acrostical" the last of which I loved the instrumental of; and decided after that, that I really did like this band. They're playing a show in London on the 5th of December that I'd love to catch at the Sebright Arms, but may not be able to make it - definitely catch them if you get the chance.


THE WYTCHES
I'd been hearing a lot about this band prior to actually listening to them. The first song that I eventually got round to listening to was "Beehive Queen". This song really reminded me of a new discovery that I wrote about a while ago - The Bongo Club. After having a listen to a few of their songs on Spotify I've decided that I like them but I'm not sure if I like them enough to go out of my way to see them live yet. Maybe I'll just have to wait for more of their material to become available. Until then, I will stay on the fence about them.



Unfortunately, I can't write about all of the bands and artists that I'd like to in one post but you are more than welcome to check out Younghusband, Real Friends, FKA Twigs, Citizen, Esben And The Witch, Soulsavers, Young Magic and Bordeauxxx.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment