On The Fourth Day Of Christmas...

Almost at the top three albums of the year and I still haven't actually decided which of the top three gets to be number one, it's that close! I have decided number four however...

On the fourth day of Christmas, I chose Drenge by Drenge. I've just noticed that my list this year has been dominated by debut records. It's so awesome to see that so much new talent has become available this year. My interest in Drenge developed quite quickly to be honest. One day I was just reading about them as new artists in NME and then next thing I knew, I'd written about them a bunch of times and seen them live twice in a year.

This band just blew me out of the water. After hearing their first single "Bloodsports" I was intrigued but not overly ecstatic. Then came "Backwaters" - that got me more excited and then "Face Like A Skull" dropped and by this time I was hooked. The two brothers from Sheffield have been grabbing people's attention everywhere they go - so much so, that they've headlined tours and supported huge names all over the UK even before releasing this album! Major talent to watch out for.

When they album became available on the 19th of August I was super excited to hear it. My favourite album tracks right now are "Let's Pretend", "I Don't Want To Make Love To You" and "Gun Crazy". The whole record is just full of moments of genius ("Let's Pretend" in particular is a stroke of genius) which make it stand out above the rest. Some said that Palma Violets were the most exciting band this year, I stand by my opinion that Drenge just beat them to it...

 

Check out what almost made it into last year's top three here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment