Field Day Review: Saturday

A couple of weeks ago (7/6/14) I went to Field Day Festival in London. Some of you might be wondering why I didn't just go to Parklife on that weekend and the reason is - this was Pixies only performance in London this year and I'm sure that you've seen enough Foals gig reviews from me this year to tide you over. Either way, here is my short, sweet and slightly late take on the first of the two days...

MOXIE
I hadn't heard of her prior to the festival but as not much had started whilst her set was on, we managed to catch some of her DJ set. This was actually the first on many DJ sets this weekend and the that actually surprised me in all of them, was how little people were dancing. I know it was early but c'mon?

PAWWS
In contrast to Moxie, I'd actually heard a lot about Pawws before coming to the show but hadn't heard a lot of her material yet. So of course I went to check her out. I have to say, I definitely don't think that she lived up to the hype completely but she had a few shining moments. One song  particular - "Give You Love" had me dancing and swaying, whilst the rest of the performance stayed fairly safe and predictable. All in all, not the most exciting opening to the live acts.

ECLAIR FIFI
The best of the DJs that we saw this weekend actually. She slayed her set and I think this was the most we saw people dancing too which was nice. I love DJs that aren't afraid of the bass, in the society of techno/electronic, a girl's gotta have a little bass now and again.

CHARLOTTE OC
One of the best performances of the entire weekend, and so unexpected too! As we were walking up to tent we could hear Charlotte take the mic and from the first note I was impressed! We ran into the tent only to be transported into a smokey room somewhere in Europe where Charlotte was crooning about lost loves. Eyes were wide throughout the whole set - best new find this month! Favourite track right now - "Hangover".

ONLY REAL
The first artist of the day that I'd actually listened to before coming. However, after Charlotte's killer performance, I don't think that I was as impressed as I expected I'd be. I really like his recorded stuff - very reminiscent of Jamie T. However, I just don't think that it transferred too well live.

SKY FERREIRA
Where Only Real disappointed, Sky Ferreira actually really impressed me. Whilst queuing for some food I could hear something good coming from the main stage and so I checked my clash finder to see who was on and lo and behold... it was Sky Ferreira! I'd heard some of her stuff before coming and was less than excited by her name on the bill but she actually sounded great live. May have to have another listen.

DUSKY
Upon recommendation from some other festival-goers earlier in the day, we headed over to the dance stage to catch Dusky DJ-ing. It was a cool set, the two played a predominantly house packed set and it was good fun. Shapes were cut and arms were waved.

SEUN KUTI
I had actually not heard of Seun before coming to festival and the first thing I thought was "this really sounds like the kind of music they play at Nandos". But who's complaining? Highly entertaining set getting the crowd pumped for the set to come...

BLOOD ORANGE
Another stand out performance from the weekend. The late afternoon sun was beaming down and Dev Hynes and co. were on top form. Dev's sprinkling of guitar solos throughout the set kept everyone in high spirits - namely Florence Welch who was dancing along side stage. Particular shout out to his bassist who clearly defied some laws of physics during this performance. This show set the bar for the rest of the main stage performances that weekend.

WARPAINT
The girls in Warpaint easily reached that bar, drawing a huge crowd and managing to fill the entire park with their hazy rock music. Being my first time seeing the ladies live, they even surpassed my expectations - everything about their set was amazing. They kept the crowd just as interested (if not more interested), til the end of the set as when they began.

JAGWAR MA
As I'd already seen Jagwar Ma under festival conditions at Glastonbury last year, I actually wasn't too fussed about seeing them but we went along anyway. To be honest, thank God that we did because they were not the same band we saw at Glastonbury! They absolutely smashed it! Huge improvement, from the first song to the last, the atmosphere was perfect!

METRONOMY
And of course the headliners. Although it was like 'Sophie's choice', choosing between Metronomy and SBTRKT, I had to give in a watch the Main Stage headliners because it was set to be something really special and it definitely was. Crowd spirits rose as the band stepped on stage and didn't dampen even during the long journey home. The crowd left, some singing Metronomy along Victoria Park's surrounding areas. Perfect end to the first day...


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment