Field Day Review: Sunday

In case you didn't catch the review of Day 1, you can have a look at that here. As amazing as some of the artists on day one were, I still feel like overall the calibre of shows on day two might just have pipped it slightly...

PANES
Had never heard of these Londoners before Field Day but their ambient vibe started the day off slowly and really didn't manage to make a lasting impression on me. Had I not written their name down, I doubt I'd have remembered seeing them. In terms of their genre, they may be the creme of the crop, they just weren't up my street.
  
THE WYTCHES
This band on the other hand reeeally caught my attention. I'd been hearing lots about The Wytches before Field Day but this was the most I'd ever heard from them and it was brilliant. I actually felt like the festival officially started with this set. Three pretty young guys were able to fill the main stage and impress the whole crowd this early on in their career. Yes.

THE BOHICAS
Really interesting band. A little bit generic and predictable but I couldn't dislike them for it because they were all extremely talented and the set was great! Even had us moshing a little bit towards the end. All in all, I had a lot of fun but I don't see myself making a huge effort to purchase their music any time soon.

CHILDHOOD
For some reason, I always confuse this band with Superfood but once I'd figured out the difference they'd played an impressive set. Ben (lead) had an interesting voice and a slightly intriguing persona that was sort of endearing. Solid set from the Londoners.

TELEGRAM
Again, I always used to confuse this band with Teleman, either way, be it Teleman or Telegram, this was an electric set. There were a lot of high points throughout this set and a couple of their songs stood out to me. Speaking to them briefly afterwards cemented my liking for the band - very nice guys, who play very nice music.

DRENGE
The most draining yet energising set of the entire weekend. It's my third time seeing the boys but their set never gets old. The inevitable mosh pit had formed less than 30 seconds into the set and didn't dwindle at any point. These two are just pure talent and seeing them again has made me that much more excited for their sophomore album.

THE HORRORS
Having now officially seen both Badwan brothers live, I'm not entirely sure who I like best. I do think that I enjoyed Loom's set more, as it was more engaging but this set still had some amazing moments and was the perfect level of good to lead up to Pixies' headline set.

PIXIES
This was it. The headline set to rule them all. No other acts on at this time so pretty much the entire population of the festival was in attendance. Standing pretty much front row meant that I felt like I'd be crushed to death almost every minute of the performance but I didn't care. They were amazing. Their drummer astounded me on every track (loved when he threw his drumstick to Joey mid set) and of course Frank slayed! Paz really held her own too because Lord knows it's no easy task replacing Kim Deal. Excellent set to end an excellent weekend!



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment