On The First Day Of Christmas...

Well here we finally are. After weeks of deliberation and multiple mind changes, we've finally arrived at my number one album of 2014!

It looks like debut records really dominated the year for me because in at number one is Marmozets with The Weird And Wonderful Marmozets. I am absolutely in love with this record... and it jumped into my life so quickly and so spontaneously I'm still trying to think how it could have made it's way to my number one spot.

I'll never forget the first time I heard Marmozets. I was sitting in my lounge flicking through music channels and "Move, Shake, Hide" came on. I listened for a while and thought "Hmm, this is really good." I mentioned it briefly in a post here but that was just more of a reminder for myself to properly check them out. Of course, student life got on top of me and I forgot all about them. It literally wasn't until I saw them at Reading Festival this year that I really realised how badass this band were. They absolutely blew my mind! After that I was super psyched to get their debut when it came out. To be honest, I was just happy I hadn't missed any of their albums with all of my dilly-dallying. I was so excited for this album in fact, that I listened to it when they put it on full stream before the actual release date. I normally never do this so I definitely had high hopes for it. Often when I have high hopes for an album it doesn't quite meet the expectations but this one certainly did, and afterwards it was just the gift that kept on giving.

After the first few listens I was thinking "Sweet! Yes, this is a great debut, very well done Marmozets" but after about a month of listening to it pretty much every single day and loving every single song, no matter what order I listened to them in, I was sure that this was something special. Everything that I've learned about this band since then has made me like them even more and seeing them support Taking Back Sunday here recently just cemented my feelings. My favourite tracks on the record right now are probably "Particle", "Why Do You Hate Me?", "Captivate You" and "Hit The Wave" but that's literally just at this moment in time. Tomorrow, I'll most likely have all new favourites. Also, their new b-side "Broken Reflection" is immense. I have no idea how they'll be able to top this debut but I look forward to hearing anything new. Most exciting new band of 2014, in my opinion.

 

Check out the album that took the crown in 2013 here.

Here's a list of some of the other mindbogglingly good albums that almost made the top 7...

1. Lower Than Atlantis - Lower Than Atlantis
2. Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
3. Caribou - Our Love
4. FKA Twigs - LP1
5. Pixies - Indie Cindy
6. Kasabian - 48:13
7. Black Keys - Turn Blue
8. Jungle - Jungle
9. Warpaint - Warpaint
10. Wild Beasts - Present Tense
11. Pharrell Williams - GIRL
12. Architects - Lost Forever//Lost Together
13. Clean Bandit - New Eyes
14. Brody Dalle - Diploid Love
15. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
16. Jamie T - Carry On The Grudge
17. Mallory Knox - Asymmetry
18. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow
19. The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader
20. SBTRKT - Wonder Where We Land

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment