On The Ninth Day Of Christmas...

Okay, it's already started to become difficult. Up until a couple of days ago, this spot was reserved for James Blake's The Colour In Anything. However, after listening to it in full and then listening to my current number nine - I had to go with Awaken, My Love by Childish Gambino.

I really didn't think that this was going to make it into the list after being released so close to decision time. Especially since I've been lucky enough to see James play his album twice this year; but the feeling just wasn't the same after listening to them both back to back. Childish really stepped up for this album and as well as being musically brilliant (which James' record also is) it sent me through a myriad of emotions throughout and held my attention the whole way through (something that I had trouble with in parts on James'). Anyway, enough comparison...

Aside from the singles, upon first listen my favourite track was "Boogieman". It hits you in the gut right from the first second and has such a performance feel to it; it wouldn't be amiss in a musical broadway show (sans cheesy-ness) and as far as grooves are concerned, this has just the right one for me. This instrumental has so many avenues for development in a live show - definitely an enjoyable bop. However, after listening again and again, I have to go with "Redbone" as my current favourite. It's just such a smooth track and the vocals at first made me thing of Prince which is of course, never a bad thing. Childish sounds like a whole different person on this record.

The fact that he found the time to put an album of this quality amidst writing and starring in TV shows, movies, producing, and overall just doing life is astonishing! He must have been building this material for quite some time and it never ceases to amaze me how artists can put together a cohesive and flowing body of work that they've produced over years and years. Surely as you change, the sound and lyrics would vary too?! Well, no use in questioning genius. Very deserving of a spot on the list.


Have a look at what I chose as number ten yesterday here.

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. thanks for blog in such detailed and informative i am totally satisfied after reading it, for all those your task you must be needing some buying ideas for that my blog can help you if you Check here
    you will find amazing choices of gifts for everyone, thank you

    ReplyDelete