Gig Review: Canterbury

Earlier this month (5/4/14), I went to go and see Canterbury at The Temple, Birmingham. I've had a sort of on-off relationship with their music since getting into them years ago. The only album of theirs that I've actually listened to in full happened to be their most recent one Dark Days and so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I came to this gig aside from what I'd heard in that...

First up supporting was Big Sixes, whom I'd actually never heard of prior to this. However, before they even came on stage I saw an acoustic guitar on stage, which I was slightly disappointed about but still intrigued. This was later explained when they came on stage and said that their drummer was unable to make it so they'd be doing an acoustic set. Unexpectedly, they absolutely smashed it! All three of the lads had beautiful, beautiful voices. The crowd's talking and chatter did grow annoyingly loud at times but the band calmly continued anyway - even though it was only a 15 minute set, it really made an impact. Will certainly be looking out for them.

Blitz Kids were next and the huge population of scene kids surged forward to the stage flicking their colourful long hair and chanting the lyrics back at the band. Shouting the lyrics along with them were a couple of unexpectedly older men in the crowd which was funny but really nice. The frontman probably couldn't have been any more pop punk if he tried but they actually played an impressive set. I didn't know any of their songs before coming but they even had me singing along at times - and I definitely have to mention how cool the lead's mic was (it lit up!). All in all it was a very good warm up for Canterbury to come out to. Cool band!

Last but not least - Canterbury. The opened with one of my favourites "Expensive Imitation" from the new record and the crowd completely transformed. Those who had kept themselves to themselves during the support acts were pushing people around in the pits, shouting the lyrics and just letting loose. They then followed up with what is probably my current favourite - "Keep It Moving". This had me leaping about in the crowd, losing my place at the barriers but I didn't even care - Canterbury were killing it! Mike had great crowd chemistry, lifting the mood every so often with his light-hearted banter and the band as a whole meshed well together. Halfway through the set Mike mentioned that this was one of the "hottest shows that they've ever played" and I can vouch for him - that tiny venue was roasting by the end of the night. Their setlist was perfect - playing other favourites of mine, "Satellite", "Think It Over" and "Saviour", before coming on for an electric encore. You could tell that the crowd was mostly young because even by the last song they still had just as much energy as they came in with.

Canterbury was much better than I expected them to be if I'm honest. Not sure if I would pay to see them again, but I definitely don't regret paying to see them here, they were great.

Overall Rating - 7/10


Here are some pictures from the night...






CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment