Field Day Review: Saturday

The first day was the hardest, simply because there were so many acts that I wanted to see and therefore, so many clashes. We spent most of the day stage hopping but managed to catch a lot of great sets...

TEI SHI
I'd heard the name Tei Shi floating about for a while now and I'm really glad that I went to check her out. I actually thought she was British, especially because her sound isn't one that you hear coming out of The States much these days. I loved her cover of Beyonce's "No Angel". Catching her live has made me excited to listen to a full body of work. I'll definitely be keeping an ear out for this songstress this year and after chatting to her, it's only made me like her more.


SPECTOR
I've known about Spector for a few years and I've never really thought that there was much unique about them and even watching their live set I didn't see or hear anything that really stuck out to me or hit me in the gut. However, they played an enjoyable summer set - songs that you can move to and shout along to. I'd never pay money to see them myself but I'm glad I caught their set.


FLOATING POINTS
After seeing him DJ with Mr Scruff last year here I knew we were in for some funky jams. I did actually get him confused with Catching Flies at first but the jazzy vibe soon brought me back on the right track. Non stop tunes, everyone was just in the perfect mood.


KINDNESS
Another name that I'd been seeing around for that longest while and I had the completely wrong idea about what he was going to sound like - I was expecting a Kurt Vile type sound. When he stepped on stage with his amazing band I was blown away by how soulful he was. Amazing vibes and beautiful songs! If you don't already know his stuff - get on it.


SHURA
After hearing Warpaint's remix of her song "2Shy" I was totally up for catching a live set of hers especially in a festival setting. Unfortunately, it wasn't the most memorable set of the weekend but she did her thing and I didn't realise how many fans she had! There was a much bigger crowd than I'd expected. Cool set - I'm interested to see her once there's more material in her arsenal.
 

CHET FAKER
I was super excited for this set which made it all the more stressful that it clashed with Django Django. I only managed to catch about 20 minute of the show before heading to the main stage. However, luckily we managed to squeeze our way into the jam packed tent close enough to hear him play "Drop The Game" - what a moment! Would love to see him again live asap.


DJANGO DJANGO
Finally!!! I have wanted to see this band live since hearing their debut record in 2013 here so even though it's two years on and I couldn't even catch the whole set, I'm just glad that I got to see them with my own eyes. It was nice to hear their new singles "Reflections" and "First Light" live, but they couldn't hold a candle to their older tracks. I just wish I could've stayed for the entire set.


FKA TWIGS
FKA Twigs, in the flesh... wow! Her album isn't actually the easiest to listen through beginning to end but live, I could've watched her all night. She really knows how to put on a show! I wanted to close my eyes and just feel the music but I just could not take my eyes off her - she was mesmerising. She had the whole crowd in the palms of her hands. The whole experience seemed surreal, all I can say is - believe the hype.


CARIBOU
The set that I was looking forward to the most and I didn't even get to see half of it. I was so upset. Bittersweet to be honest because I did catch "Odessa", "Your Love Will Set You Free", "Can't Do Without You" and "Sun", which were some of the biggest moments of the set but I just wish I'd been there from start to finish. "Sun" in particular is an encore that I'll remember for a lifetime. Perfect headline set.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment